About this product
Part Number: SP10855
Please note BST StarGuider ED eyepieces are occasionally branded 'Astro Essentials'.
Remarkably high performance-per-£!
Features include two ED glass elements and fully multicoated edge-blackened optics for excellent colour, enhanced contrast, high light transmission and minimal ghosting.
The six-element / four-group design minimises field curvature for a nice flat field, even when used with telescope f-ratios as low as f5.
Modern twist-up eyecups, 16mm eye relief and 21mm diameter eye-lens makes them comfortable to use, even when wearing eyeglasses.
The tactile rubber grip and milled indentations make them easy to handle in the dark and the 1.25“ nosepiece includes a safety undercut so the eyepiece is less likely to slip out of the focuser. The 1.25” nosepiece is also threaded to accept 1.25“ astronomy filters.
- Two ED glass elements minimise chromatic aberration.
- All air-to-glass surfaces are fully multicoated for high contrast, high light transmission and minimal ghosting.
- Blackened lens edges reduce internal reflections and further increase contrast.
- Six-element / four-group design minimises field curvature for a nice flat field.
- 16mm eye relief (suitable for spectacle wearers).
- Large 21mm eye-lens diameter for comfortable observing.
- Convenient screw-out eye cups.
- Tactile rubber grip for easy handling in the dark.
- 1.25“ nosepiece with milled safety undercut.
- Accepts 1.25“ astronomy filters.
- Suitable for use with telescope focal-ratios f/5 and above.
Eyepiece Field of View Simulator
|Average Rating (2 Reviews): |
Monday, 15 March 2021 | Tamas
I am using it in a 'very' short tabletop refractor the Orion 80mm/350mm F4.3
Much better colour and contrast than the Orion 20mm (kit) it replaces.
While it does not give completely flat image as there is some curving towards the edges (stars getting a bit stretchy, mind you I am using it in an F4 scope) the build quality and handling, the screw-out eye cup are great!
Very comfortable to use, I use it without my glasses with the eye cup fully out, it blocks out most stray light, provides a large bright clean view, no beaning. Seem to have the same focal plane across the line as swapping to the BST 5mm I also have for instant magnification does not require re-focusing, just tad adjustment if any. It made my telescope much more enjoyable so improved the overall experience of my new hobby! Recommended!
inexpensive upgrade from stock EP
Sunday, 18 June 2017 | Jordy
Satisfactory upgrade from the stock SW EP's I got with my SW Explorer 150 f/5. The 18mm BST transmits significantly more light than the lower power 25mm stock EP.
There is noticeable coma in the outer edges, but only on the brightest of stars; but that is sth you get with all scopes at f/5 or faster, unless you go with the premium eyepieces.
Overall, this eyepiece is an amazing upgrade from the stock, and doesn't break the bank.
Please fill in the form below to ask a question.
Q1. But aren't these the same as ........ ?
Probably... BST (BarSTa) Starguider ED eyepieces are available under a number of brands but we source them with their original factory name.
Q2. Are these noticably better than the 10 & 20mm eyepieces supplied with my telescope?