"Optimised to perfection
The small wait for each filter to get to temperature fills you with anticipation and your eventual opportunity to look through the eyepiece or via a camera certainly doesn’t disappoint.
Despite the diminutive (in hydrogen-alpha terms) price tag, both models perform impressively. The chromosphere-optimised version shows plenty of fine detail, from dark fibrils, filaments and plage to intricate magnetic maelstroms surrounding active regions. Despite its optimisation, this version can also show limb detail including prominences and the short-lived jets of gas known as spicules. The field of view has great contrast and is without gradients or noticeable sweet spots.
Switching from the chromosphere to the prominence model delivers a whole new experience. Seeing prominences via the chromosphere filter leads you into the false sense that the prominence filter view isn’t going to be that much better. However, it is. Prominences appear bright and detailed against a jet black background sky again with no sweet spot issues." BBC Sky @ Night Magazine
About this product
Part Number: DSZ4C
DayStar Quark Hydrogen Alpha 'Eyepiece'
This new, all-in-one design marries high quality components of a telecentric barlow, adapters, snouts and Daystar hydrogen alpha filter into one simple assembly. Through design efficiency and optimisation, now users can enjoy the known high quality optics of DayStar* at an affordable price.
For use on refractors of F/4 to F/8**. The user needn't worry about configurations. Just insert in your diagonal, add an eyepiece and view.
The patent pending QUARK* contains a custom Daystar Instruments 4.2X telecentric barlow lens fully optimised in coatings and optical design specifically for the Hydrogen Alpha wavelength. This highly specialised telecentric lens offers superior field flatness.
Exact filter bandpass will vary based on final telescope application, so QUARK* assemblies are qualified to show either prominence or surface (chromosphere). No specific FWHM bandpass is designated. Now observers can buy a filter based on their desired observing goals instead of their budget. Choose prominences or surface (Chromosphere) detail. Both are available for the same low price!
The fully optimised design eliminates the need for adapters. It is all combined in one lightweight eyepiece-sized device. The new, compact design configuration eliminates unnecessary components, weight and associated costs. We even reduced power consumption, so the Quark* can now operate all day off a small, palm-sized optional battery pack.
Baffles have been added to increase contrast and AR coatings are optimised for the 656nm wavelength.
Important: To prevent damage, we recommend using an Energy Rejection Filter on telescopes of 80mm aperture or more, or when tracking the Sun for long periods. This can be a UV/IR cut filter mounted before the diagonal, or a full aperture red or yellow glass ERF mounted in front of the telescope.
- 1.25" or 2.0" combo eyepiece snouts with safety indent slot directly into your diagonal
- Standard 1.25 eyepiece drawtube output with optional 2" and SCT accessories available.
- Brass compression ring to protect eyepiece.
- Uses USB power, 5v 1.5amp
- Includes 90-240VAC wall adapter with international plug adapters.
- Tuning knob allows wing shifting +/- 0.5Ã… with detents at every 0.1Ã…
- LED indicator for power, warming, ready, fault
- 5 year warranty,
- Optional 8-hour battery pack available.
- Integrated, fully baffled 2 element telecentric 4.2X barlow optimized for 656nm
- Integrated 12mm blocking filter
- 21mm clear filter aperture
- Best performance with F/4 - F/8 refractors
- Full disk viewing possible on refractors up to ~450mm focal length refractors
- No aperture limitations. May be used on larger refractors for higher magnification views
- Ships in convenient Twist-Case for safe, dust-free storage.
- Not suited for off-axis application
*The QUARK* assembly is a product of DayStar Instruments, using DayStar Filters' Fabry Perot etalon technology.
** QUARK Filters may be used at shorter and longer focal ratios than recommended. F-ratios of F/9 and higher will offer a dimmer visual view and may only be bright enough for photographic applications. F-ratios of less than F/4 will be brighter, but also widen the effective FWHM bandpass performance of the QUARK filter.
What's in the box
- Quark Eyepiece
- 1.25" Eyepiece Drawtube
- Wall Power Adapter
- USB Power Cable
Please fill in the form below to ask a question.