About this product
Part Number: lynxastro_heated_shield_11
Lynx Astro premium quality flexible heated dew shields, made in the UK.
Robust design using modern materials for high performance and long life!
Simply wrap the dew shield around the end of your telescope tube near the optics and secure it with the integrated Velcro. A gentle heat is then transferred to the optics until the temperature is slightly warmer than the dew point.
Dimensions are 104cm long and 34cm wide. Please check the circumference of your telescope to ensure it will provide a good fit (a few cm are necessary for the velcro areas to overlap).
An inner black felt liner prevents stray light entering the telescope so enhances contrast.
Will I need a Dew Controller?
A simple 12V Dew Heater Supply Cable can be used to connect to a suitable 12V power-supply. When connected this way the heating element is essentially running on full-power. This won't harm the heater but with smaller telescope apertures it might result in the optic being warmer than necessary which can effect the view and waste energy. The solution then is to use a Dew Controller that regulates the heat (also enables you to use more than one heater tape). Lynx Astro heated dew shields and heater tapes are compatible with most good dew controllers, including those manufactured by Lynx Astro & HitecAstro.
- Suitable for use with most 11" / 280mm diameter telescopes.
- Modern heating element provides even heat distribution and low power consumption.
- Produces 16W of heating power.
- Requires approximately 1.33Ah at 12v / full power.
- Outer thermal insulating layer prevents heat loss.
- 2m silicone cable remains flexible even at low temperatures.
- RCA / Phono Plug with moulded strain-relief - works with most dew controllers.
- Velcro ensures a snug, secure fit.
- Internally flocked with black felt to prevent reflections.
- Smooth inner fabric protects the telescope's finish (doesn't scratch or mar the surface).
- 12v power supply required.
- Two year no fault replacement warranty.
|Average Rating (1 Review): |FLO is excellent -- the product less so
Saturday, 13 November 2021 | Lawrence
The product is of high quality but its design appears to make it unsuitable for this use on an 11" scope. Combining the dew strap with a tube is an excellent idea but there are problems with this design. I tried to mount it on my 11" Celestron Edge OTA but in order to get it to fit around an 11" scope, the velcro strip has to be used to its minimum overlap limit. This leaves the tube far too flexible and wobbly. In addition, in order to slide the tube on to the OTA (to position the heating strip adjacent to the corrector,) I would have had to cut sizeable chunks out of the dew tube itself to accommodate the rails. This would have left very little length of tube beyond the aperture. IMHO the heating strip needs to be much closer to the base of the dew tube. The system might be suitable for any OTA that does not have rails fitted - although these are fairly standard fittings. FLO kindly gave me a full refund. It is a 5* company!
As this product doesn't have notches it cannot accomodate telescopes with dovetails that come to the very end of the tube - for these models, we recommend the AstroZap dew shields with notches.
Please fill in the form below to ask a question.