About this product
The Baader LVI Smartguider-2 offers precise autoguiding, DSLR camera control and focuser control (when used with compatible focusers).
ADVANCED DSLR CONTROL with SG 2 -REFLEX(TM)
The SG 2 REFLEX-software implemented into the MGA-device controls a variety of Canon, Nikon, Pentax and Sony cameras by offering the same control parameters that are usually managed by second party commercial software.
- Single shot exposure or multiple exposure control
- Bracketing - when activated the camera automatically images in a user-defined sequence
- Time out control between consecutive exposures - for sensor cooling.
- Mirror lock - prevents vibrations caused by mirror flip prior to releasing the shutter
- Dark frame capture - when activated, the camera automatically starts taking darks
- Time out - When activated the DSLR starts to capture images after a preset time only
- Statistical info - two screens in the SG2 hand control unit display all preset parameters
ADVANCED SG 2-FOCUS CONTROL
The SG 2 FOCUS-software in the MGA unit controls the Starlight-FeatherTouch MSM motor focuser and Baader-Steeltrack focusers equipped with Baader-Steeldrive. The MGA also supplies power to the focus motor through 3 x AA batteries mounted inside the MGA unit, and it supports following operations:
- Focuser model selection - selects your model of focuser from an internal database
- Automatic calibration - automatically calibrates for absolute focus position (homing)
- Temperature compensation - compensates for temperature induced focus offset by reading the thermo probe
- Temperature coefficient self-learning - automatic "self-learning" function of temperature coefficient
- Permanent saving - permanently saves a preset T-coefficient.
- Manual adjustment - supports manual fine adjustment/override of preset T-coefficient.
- Statistical info - provides statistical info and displays preset parameters via the SG 2 hand control
ADVANCED SG 2-AUTOGUIDING
The autoguiding port in the MGA unit features state of the art opto-coupled ports enabling non-simultaneous corrections of RA and DEC axis individually. These elaborate control functions are vital for perfect autoguiding with older Losmandy #492 "Digital Drive" (and similar) mounts. A dedicated AUTOSTAR port enables perfect autoguiding with all Meade mounts equipped with Autostar #497 (LX90 and LXD55/75). It offers an ease of use never before thought possible.
Newly implemented software functions:
- DITHERING: enables an ever so small small frame displacement between single guiding frames when activated. This procedure kills cold pixels ('black holes' in the raw image) prevalent in any guiding camera, while the celestial target remains perfectly stationary at the imaging sensor of the CCD or DSLR camera
- PULSE GUIDE: controls and fine-tunes the duration of corrective pulses. Together with the AGGRESSIVENESS-function, it helps to eliminate overcorrection (hysteresis)
- THRESHOLD: supports the removal of hot pixels by adjusting the background noise level. Pixels having an ADU value lower than threshold value are not considered by SmartGuider 2 camera while searching for a guide star. This avoids hot pixels being recognized as fake stars.
- MAX EXPOSURE: limits maximum exposure time to adjust on camera sensitivity
Please fill in the form below to ask a question or request a price match.