About this product
Part Number: HSG-1
The AstroHutech Hinode Solar Guider is the first autoguider designed for casual solar observing as well as photography.
Using an integrated sensor and onboard computing, the Hinode Solar Guider provides precise tracking on the sun for long periods of time.
It does not require precise polar alignment so is quick to setup and convenient to use. Ideal for public outreach or quick viewing with a grab-&-go solar scope.
When used for photography, the reliable and continuous autoguiding simplifies post-processing for projects such as time-lapse movies.
NOTE: The Hinode Solar Guider is available with a choice of mounting bases (Universal dovetail bar, Lunt mount base or Coronado mount base). Please choose from the drop down box when ordering.
- Quick setup -- precise polar alignment is not required.
- Built-in coarse finder makes lining up with the sun easy and safe.
- Guides on the solar disk -- No requirements for sunspots to be used for tracking.
- Optics, filter, and sensor are integrated in a single package along with guide electronics. No additional guide scope, filter, or computer required.
- One-time easy calibration with no additional calibration necessary for a fixed setup. Just select AM or PM tracking.
- No PC required. All functions are controlled through the attached hand controller.
- Universal mounting block allows attachment to virtually any telescope. Compatible with conventional finder dovetail bases available in the market.
- Audible cues and hand controller LEDs eliminate the need to exactly center the sun with an eyepiece or PC monitor.
- 5V DC operation via USB mini-B cable. When used with a PC no power supply is necessary
- Compact and lightweight at 106mm x 67mm x 28mm, 270g, and compatible with a grab-n-go solar viewing setup.
- User-friendly PC interface, including upgradeable firmware.
- NEW - Windows PC Software for monitor and control of the Hinode Guider
- Compatible with any mount with ST-4 / Losmandy-type autoguider input port.
- Made in USA.
While guiding effectiveness is dependent on the entire telescope and mount system, plus external factors such as atmospheric effects, the Hinode guider can detect position errors on the order of 1 arc second with a lab light source, and the smallest correction it will make is 100ms (programmed into firmware with typical mount electronic and mechanical limitations in mind). This corresponds to 1.5 arcseconds at 1x guide rate (correction speed at 1x sidereal drift) and .75 arcseconds at 0.5x guide rate.
This high-resolution time-lapse video clip demonstrates the accuracy of the Hinode solar guider. This video was taken over a 3-hour time period and spans 10 arc-minutes from top to bottom of the frame. The mount used was a stock Celestron AVX mount, aligned approximately to north.
What's in the box
- Hinode Solar Guider
- Hand Controller
- USB Cable
- Hand Controller Cable
- Autoguider Cable
- Mounting Base (Choose when ordering)
Downloads / Manuals
The following manuals and downloads are available for this product:
Hutech Hinode Solar Guider Manual (PDF)
Hutech Hinode Solar Guider Software & Firmware
|Average Rating (2 Reviews): |
Saturday, 5 June 2021 | Rodger
I have had this for some time now and wouldn't be without it. Alignment can be very rough, clouds can move through and the wind may blow but this will always keep on target.
I have not used the hand controller as the computer software works without issue plugged directly into the Hinode without affecting camera speed. I also use an NEQ5 with direct PC control only; no hand controller.
All through one laptop and seamless.
If you like solar time lapse this is certainly worth serious consideration.
I have only given 4 stars as it is very expensive and there is no ASCOM driver at present so the ST4 port is essential.
Otherwise a brilliant and pixel perfect product.
Friday, 26 January 2018 | Ian
Works incredibly well! Very easy to set up. I elected to use the downloadable software so I could see the drive corrections, and that was easy to use as well.
I use it with an Ioptron ZEQ25 mount through its standard ST4 interface.
The mount is only roughly aligned to the polar axis, but the Hinode "grabs" the Sun fine.
Highly recommended for serious Sun observers.
Please fill in the form below to ask a question.