About this product
Part Number: 11069-CGL
The 8SE is the largest of the Celestron SE family and is based on their hugely successful 8" Schmidt-Cassegrain with StarBright XLT coatings.
Offers 78% more light gathering than a 6" model.
For most astronomers, this telescope will provide a lifetimes worth of observing!
The largest of the NexStar SE family with 78% more light gathering than a 6" model, the NexStar 8 SE will enable you to see deep into the Universe. The distinctive patented fork arm with ergonomically designed integrated hand control cradle gives solid support to Celestron’s classic 8" optics. The NexStar 8 SE features Schmidt-Cassegrain 8" aperture optics with our premium StarBright XLT coatings and a powerful 2,032mm focal length and f/10 focal ratio.
The NexStar 8 SE has all the same features as Celestron’s most advanced computerized GoTo telescopes, including our revolutionary SkyAlign™ alignment technology, a sky tour feature, a database of over 40,000 celestial objects and easy to use hand control.
Plug the optional CN-16 GPS Accessory into NexStar’s auxiliary port and download data from orbiting GPS satellites for truly quick and easy alignments. The universe may be full of mysteries, but using the NexStar 8 SE isn’t one of them.
In the tradition of Celestron's famous orange optical tubes, the new NexStar SE Family combines the classic heritage of the original orange tube telescopes with state-of-the-art features including a fully computerized operating system, upgradeable hand control, our superior StarBright XLT coatings, our revolutionary SkyAlign™ telescope alignment software and much more.
Whether you are a seasoned astronomer looking for a portable scope with advanced features, or just starting your astronomy adventure and looking for an easy way to enjoy the night sky, a NexStar SE will help you take a closer look.
- 8" Schmidt-Cassegrain telescope
- SE combines the classic heritage of the original orange tube telescopes with the latest state-of-the-art features
- StarBright XLT high transmission coatings come standard
- Quick release fork arm mount, optical tube and accessory tray for no-tool setup
- Celestron's unique patented single fork arm with integral hand control design provides a rigid and smooth operating structure for the optical tube
- StarPointer finderscope to help with alignment and accurately locating objects
- Sturdy computerized Altazimuth mount
- Ultra sturdy steel tripod with accessory tray
- Star diagonal provides more comfortable viewing position when observing objects that are high in the sky
- Proven NexStar computer control technology
- 40,000 object database with 200 user-definable objects and expanded information on over 200 objects
- SkyAlign allows you to align on any three bright celestial objects, making for a fast and easy alignment process
- Flash upgradeable hand control software and motor control units for downloading product updates over the Internet
- Custom database lists of all the most famous deep-sky objects by name and catalog number; the most beautiful double, triple and quadruple stars; variable stars; solar system objects and asterisms
- DC Servo motors with encoders on both axes
- Autoguider port for long exposure astrophotography
- Double line, 16-character Liquid Crystal Display Hand Control with backlit LED buttons for easy operation of goto features
- GPS-compatible with optional SkySync GPS Accessory (93969)
What's in the box
- Telescope OTA
- SE Mount, Tripod & Handset
- StarPointer Finderscope
- 25mm E-Lux Eyepiece
|OPTICAL DESIGN:|| Schmidt-Cassegrain |
|APERTURE:|| 203.2 mm (8 in)|
|FOCAL LENGTH:|| 2032 mm (80 in)|
|FOCAL RATIO:|| 10 |
|FINDERSCOPE:|| StarPointer |
|MOUNT:|| Single Fork Arm Altazimuth |
|DOVETAIL COMPATIBILITY:|| Quick Release Tube Clamp |
|OPTICAL TUBE:|| Aluminum |
|EYEPIECE 1:|| 25 mm (0.98 in)|
|MAGNIFICATION 1:|| 81.28 x|
|STAR DIAGONAL:|| 1.25" |
|CD ROM:|| NexRemote V1.6.14 & The Sky L1 |
|TRIPOD:|| Steel (sku 93593) |
|POWER SUPPLY:|| 8-AA batteries (not included) |
|HIGHEST USEFUL MAGNIFICATION:|| 480 x|
|LOWEST USEFUL MAGNIFICATION:|| 29 x|
|LIMITING STELLAR MAGNITUDE:|| 14 |
|RESOLUTION:|| 0.68 arc seconds|
|RESOLVING POWER:|| 0.57 arc seconds|
|LIGHT GATHERING POWER:|| 843 x|
|ANGULAR FIELD OF VIEW:|| 0.63 °|
|LINEAR FIELD OF VIEW (@1000 YDS):|| 33 ft (10.06 m)|
|OPTICAL COATINGS:|| Starbright XLT Coating |
|SECONDARY MIRROR OBSTRUCTION:|| 2.5 in (63.5 mm)|
|SECONDARY MIRROR OBSTRUCTION BY AREA:|| 10 %|
|SECONDARY MIRROR OBSTRUCTION BY DIAMETER:|| 31.3 %|
|OPTICAL TUBE LENGTH:|| 17 in (431.8 mm)|
|TELESCOPE WEIGHT:|| 24 lb (10.89 kg)|
|TRIPOD AND MOUNT WEIGHT:|| 9 lb (4.08 kg)|
|MOTOR DRIVE:|| Integrated D.C. Electronics |
|COMPUTER HAND CONTROL:|| Double line, 16 character Liquid Crystal Display w/ 19 fiber optic backlit LED buttons |
|SLEW SPEEDS:|| Nine slew speeds|
Downloads / Manuals
The following manuals and downloads are available for this product:
Celestron NexStar 8 SE Manual (PDF)
Quick Setup Guide for NexStar 6 SE and 8 SE (PDF)
Motor Control Firmware Updates v.2.2.5 (ZIP)
NexRemote v. 1.7.22 (ZIP)
Hand Control Firmware Updates v.1.1.14 (ZIP)
Celestron Firmware Manager (CFM) (ZIP)
|Average Rating (2 Reviews): |
02 December 2021 | John
I purchased this scope last week and took it out last night for the first time. I upgraded from a 5" sct to this. The difference was immense. I viewed several different objects last night. M27 was so bright and clear. Sculptor galaxy very clear. The mount tracking and goto works so much better than the 5se I had. It was point on each object I slewed to. The 5se is not as accurate (the mount is beefier on the 6/8se so this might account for the difference?) Jupiter and Saturn were stunning. OTA did not require any collimation when first placed on scope and that was nice to start viewing straight away. I highly recommend this. It has a good aperture, it is compact and (as I dont drive personally) it is relatively easy to transport (I live on the edge of the Gower penisula and so my wife dropped me off on Cefn Bryn) and using a backpack (for OTA) and wheeled toolbox (for the mount and tripod) I could easily get to a nice clear spot.
10 May 2018 | Colin
I received the 8SE from FLO last week just before the bank holiday weekend and was delighted with both the service I got from FLO and the telescope. I was amazed at how easy it was to get the appropriate information into the hand set and to get it aligned within ten mins, which I considered quite good for my first time. I have not had a chance to get into any serious viewing as yet as the evenings have been very overcast but I have had a spectacular view of Jupiter and its moons so cant wait for clearer sky's. I did consider ordering up graded eye pieces at the same time as ordering the telescope but decided to wait and see what the standard ones were like. I was not disappointed as the eye piece that came with it is ok and will do for a while, however I will probably upgrade in the near future as I believe the NexStar deserves a higher end eye piece to reach its full potential. I would also like to say that FLO have been really helpful and answered my questions via email prior to my purchase and they will be my first call when purchasing bits in the future.
Please fill in the form below to ask a question.