About this product
Part Number: 0558201
Lunt Solar Promotion!
Offer price available until further notice and while stocks last.
Herschel / Solar Wedges are used with refractor telescopes to observe or image the sun in white light.
Unlike a front-mounted solar filter a Herschel Wedge filters the light just before it reaches the eyepiece or camera so provides higher contrast and greater detail.
The Herschel Wedge suppresses ~95% of the light, a pre-installed ND3.0 strong grey filter dims the remaining 5%.
- Especially high-quality optical surfaces for very good contrast
- Fully closed body with integrated heat trap
- No stray light escapes so it is very safe
- The necessary ND3.0 filter is built-in.
Tuning the brightness
For visual use we recommend using a polarising filter fitted to your eyepiece, simply screw one to your eyepiece filter-holder then rotate the eyepiece until you achieve a comfortable brightness. Polarising filter not included.
If you can reach focus for imaging using a standard star diagonal on your telescope, you will be able to reach focus when imaging with a 1.25" Lunt Solar White Light Wedge. The 2" version may require additional in-focus travel to achieve focus.
Available in two sizes:
2” (LS2HW) accepts 2” eyepieces (or 1.25" via your telescope's existing 2"-1.25" adapter) and has a 2” nosepiece for the focuser - performs best on refractors with 6” or less front aperture.
1.25” (LS1.25HW) accepts 1.25” eyepieces and has a 1.25” nosepiece - performs best on refractors with 4” or less front aperture.
1. The 1.25" model is suitable for use only with refractor telescopes up to 100mm aperture, the 2" model up to 150mm aperture. The full energy and heat of the sun will be inside the telescope so Lunt advise using only refractor telescopes with a Herschel Wedge.
2. Not suitable for use with Petzval or other telescope designs with a rear lens element positioned close to the focuser drawtube.
3. Not suitable for telescopes with plastic construction.
4. Never mount a 2" filter in front of a Herschel Wedge! Any filter mounted into the full beam of Solar energy so near to the focus point will become extremely hot and damaged within seconds. Filters must only be mounted above the exiting side of the prism.
5. Solar observing is dangerous and can be hazardous to eyesight. Safety is everyone’s responsibility, please use the correct equipment and read the safety notes supplied with the products carefully.
What's in the box
- Lunt White Light Wedge (1.25″ or 2″)
- ND3 Pre-installed Filter
- Metal Carrying Case
- Die Cut Foam with room for accessories
Downloads / Manuals
The following manuals and downloads are available for this product:
Lunt White Light Wedge Manual (PDF)
|Average Rating (2 Reviews): |Great upgrade from solar film
Friday, 6 December 2019 | Stephen
IMHO this gives a better view that solar film.
I use it with SW ED80 and OVL Hyperflex zoom EP.
All works really well.
First time since purchase
Friday, 6 June 2014 | Rodger
Just tried out the Lunt 1.25" solar wedge on my skywatcher equinox 80 refractor.
Using a moon filter and polariser with a 25mm eyepiece gave the best white light views of the sun I have ever experienced. Easily separating individual smaller sun spots and prenumbra along with good surface detail.
Attaching a qhy5l-ii mono allowed for 200 micro second imaging giving razor sharp images. The spots snap nicely into focus very easily.
Having tried solar film and glass filters this wedge out performs all.
Also works with Baader Calcium-K line filter (on a camera is essential) for even more stunning views.
Please fill in the form below to ask a question.