"For a modest cost, they helped me build my PI repertoire and improve my images. In the context of paying thousands of dollars for equipment, computers, and software, IP4AP’s tutorials provide outstanding value for the money. I would recommend it to anyone who is serious about harnessing PixInsight’s vast capabilities to make beautiful space photos." Dr. Ron Brecher - Astronomy Magazine
Warren Keller joins forces with PixInsight expert, Rogelio Bernal Andreo to bring you a new series of DVD tutorials focused entirely on the astro-image processing software, PixInsight.
PixInsight is the brainchild of Juan Conejero, a Spanish software developer who has led Vicent Peris and the 'PTeam' since 2004 in PI's development. If you're new to image processing, PixInsight is a very powerful and much less expensive alternative to Photoshop. New modules are being added all the time, eliminating the need for astro-specific, 3rd-party plugins as with Photoshop. Because it was specifically designed for Astrophotography, it has definite advantages over Adobe CS and we can see a time in the near future when its postprocessing abilities will surpass Photoshop in many areas.
Part-3 of the PixInsight series moves on to more advanced topics. Among those covered will be: HDR composition, building mosaics, multiscale processing via wavelets, Narrowband image processing, and further refinement of techniques involving Masks, PixelMath, etc. Also featured is a recap of earlier concepts detailed in Part-1 and 2, providing the much needed Context and Chronology - the what to do, and when to do it.
Table of Contents
- PI-0 Introduction to PixInsight Part-3 Advanced topics and special features. 2:54min
- PI-1 Recap-1 offers a Step-by-Step Review of what we've learned in PixInsight Part-1 and Part-2, further providing the 'what to do and when to do it' for your PI workflow. One-Shot-Color procedures are demonstrated. Monochromatic imagers will benefit from this as well. 6:03min
- PI-2 Recap-2 offers a Step-by-Step Review of what we've learned in PixInsight Part-1 and Part-2, further providing the 'what to do and when to do it' for your PI workflow. Monochrome procedures are demonstrated. 5:00min
- PI-3 Recap-3 completes our Step-by-Step Review of what we've learned in PixInsight Part-1 and Part-2. The second half of Monochrome workflow is demonstrated. 4:44min
- PI-4 HDR Composition details the HDRComposition and GradientHDRComposition processes for combining exposures of different lengths, to preserve high dynamic range detail. 4:03min
- PI-5 Mosaics-1 begins our 6-part miniseries on mosaic construction. 4:31min
- PI-6 Mosaics-2 features the construction of a 2-panel mosaic. The StarAlignment process is profiled. 3:46min
- PI-7 Mosaics-3 continues with the construction of our 2-panel mosaic. The GradientMergeMosaic process for seamless mosaic stitching is introduced. 4:18min
- PI-8 Mosaics-4 begins the construction of a 4-panel monochromatic mosaic template. StarAlignment's Restrict to Previews, and registration confirmation with a mask are covered. 7:24min
- PI-9 Mosaics-5 continues the construction of a 4-panel monochromatic mosaic. Alignment of individual panels to the template created in PI-8 is detailed. Three different approaches are featured. 6:25min
- PI-10 Mosaics-6 concludes our 6-part mosaic miniseries. Three different paths for GradientMergeMosaic are shown, and a quick recap brings context and chronology to mosaic procedures. 2:41min
- PI-11 Star Masks-1 provides a more in-depth look at star mask creation for advanced image processing. 7:13min
- PI-12 Star Masks-2 profiles ATrousWaveletTransform for the creation of star masks. Alteration and repair of star masks, as well as useful tricks are detailed. The Convolution process is also introduced. 4:56min
- PI-13 Multiscale-1 introduces bona fide multiscale processing with PixInsight. We demonstrate the deconstruction of an image into varied scales, and how to recombine them when work is complete. 4:01min
- PI-14 Multiscale-2 concludes our two-part miniseries on advanced multiscale processing techniques with PixInsight. With an image deconstructed into small and large scales, we draw out faint nebulosity and sharpen detail before reassembling the image. 5:31min
- PI-15 Narrowband-1 begins our 6-part miniseries on Narrowband image processing. After an introduction to the major palettes, we use PixelMath, LRGBCombination, and ChannelCombination, to assemble Ha, OIII, and SII images into a Master file. 5:12min
- PI-16 Narrowband-2 demonstrates the power of Scripts for assembling Ha, OIII, and SII images into a Master file. Multichannel Synthesis's SHO-AIP script is introduced. Also shown is the creation of Narrowband pseudo-luminance. 5:05min
- PI-17 Narrowband-3 addresses Narrowband stars. Repair, replace, or remove them for different effects. 3:22min
- PI-18 Narrowband-4 returns to PixInsight scripts to combine Narrowband data with (L)RGB. We revisit SHO-AIP and introduce the HaRVB-AIP and NBRGB scripts. 5:08min
- PI-19 Narrowband-5 returns to processes for blending Narrowband data with (L)RGB. Demonstrated is a special technique by the PTeam's Vicent Peris for blending Hydrogen alpha and Luminance. 2:44min
- PI-20 Narrowband-6 concludes our 6-part miniseries on Narrowband image processing. Hydrogen alpha and Oxygen 3 are selectively blended to an (L)RGB's chrominance using masks and PixelMath. 4:25 min
- PI-21 Superbias details the new Superbias process for noise-free calibration with improved modeling of your camera's bias signal. Also introduced is the new 24-bit LUT visualization feature. 3:14min
- PI-22 Drizzle introduces the new DrizzleIntegration process, for implementing the Variable-Pixel Linear Reconstruction algorithm on undersampled data. 4:22min
- PI-23 CometAlignment shows you how to have the best of both worlds- an untrailed comet, and round stars! 4:42min
- PI-24 Preprocessing Update brings you up to speed with recent additions to both the ImageIntegration and ImageRegistration processes. 2:20min
- PI-25 Scripts Redux covers additional scripts worthy of note. BatchFormatConversion, BatchLinearFit, FWHMEccentricity, SubframeSelector, CanonBandingReduction, FITS Keywords, and FITSFileManager scripts, Feature Scripts, and Global Reset are profiled. 5:40min
- PI-26 Wrap-Up concludes the three-part PixInsight series from IP4AP.com. Acknowledgements, Additional Resources, Special Features, and a look into the future of PixInsight, as well as IP4AP are covered. 6:13min
This is a sample video from PixInsight Part-3, Primer-5 to give you a flavour of what the DVDs are like.
'...Warren's warm, conversational style pairs well with the comprehensive skill set offered by the all-star team of both he and Rogelio... This series is certain to unlock processing mysteries for new and seasoned astrophotographers alike.'
Joseph DePasquale | Science Imager
Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory
Chandra X-ray Center
Disclaimer: The Chandra X-ray Center and the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics do not endorse any particular vendor's products.
'IP4AP's PixInsight tutorials are a must-see for anyone opening up the PI toolbox. I highly recommend this series. You will not only climb the PI learning curve, but enjoy it at the same time!'
Ken Crawford, President
Advanced Imaging Conference, Inc
'Despite using PixInsight for three years and achieving major milestones in my processing, I've found IP4AP's series to be wonderfully helpful. Warren's clear scripting combined with Rogelio's expertise truly illuminate the complex parameters of PI's powerful functions. These tutorials have already significantly improved my workflow, and I can't wait for each new release!'
Josh Lake- Winner 2012 Hubble's Hidden Treasures image processing contest
Pomfret School Observatory Director, Pomfret, CT