About this product
The UK's BEST 10" Dobsonian telescope!
Designed and manufactured to a very high standard by Guan Sheng Optical (GSO) in Taiwan.
With 10" aperture, this Dobsonian telescope has 56% more light ability than 8" models but is still relatively portable. An excellent choice for visual astronomy.
Viewing the lunar surface will feel like you can reach out and scratch plaster! Venus and its phases are also viewable. In good seeing conditions you can observe Mars with surface shading and polar cap, Jupiters weather bands and a number of its Moons and Saturn with its rings, including the Cassini division, are also clearly visible. So too are many deep sky objects such as galaxies and nebulae. For many owners this telescope will provide a lifetime of observing.
All StellaLyra Dobsonian telescopes are fitted with a quality GSO aluminised parabolic primary mirror with minimum 93% reflectivity and a silicon-dioxide protective overcoat to ensure the surface remains bright for years to come.
Collimation knobs on the primary mirror cell provide easy collimation adjustment, without tools, and an integrated fan provides fast cooling.
This 10” model also features an impressive CNC-machined 2" Crayford focuser with 1:10 dual-speed focus adjustment for smooth, precise focusing. And no image-shift! The focuser includes a 2" to 1.25" adapter so you use both 2" and 1.25" eyepieces and accessories. Brass compression rings grip them securely without marring their nosepiece. A convenient 35mm focus extender is also supplied so you can achieve focus easily when using most long focal length 2" eyepieces.
Two fully multicoated eyepieces (1.25" 9mm Plössl & 2" 30mm SuperView) are included so views will be clear and sharp, from the outset.
The Dobsonian base is delivered flat-packed and is easy to assemble.
A robust roller bearing assembly provides smooth reliable azimuth adjustments. Metal plates above and below the bearings prevents them from sinking into the softer wood (no divots!) so the movement remains smooth, even after years of use.
For altitude adjustment a robust steel shaft and CNC-machined metal plates with large knurled tension adjustment knobs, one each side, provide smooth, precise movements and adjustable tension.
The mount also features a convenient balance adjustment mechanism with engraved scale that enables the telescope to be moved forward or backwards for precise balance. This is useful when changing from a small eyepiece to a large heavy one, or when adding a second finderscope or binoviewer.
For comfort and convenience a Right-Angled Correct Image 8x50 finder scope is includes, so no cricked neck!
- 254mm (10") optical aperture
- 1250mm focal length
- f/4.9 focal ratio
- 25% secondary mirror obstruction
- Parabolic primary mirror with minimum 93% reflectivity
- Aluminium and silicone dioxide (SiO2) protective mirror coatings
- Sturdy primary mirror-cell with easy grip collimation knobs
- Cooling fan brings the primary mirror to ambient temperature quickly for best performance
- Rigid, steel telescope tube with 4-vane, all metal secondary Spider and adjustable primary cell
- CNC-machined 2" dual-speed Crayford focuser with non-marring brass compression rings
- 2" to 1.25" adapter enables use of both 2" and 1.25" eyepieces and accessories
- 35mm focus extension enables focus when using long focal length 2" eyepieces
- Smooth, stable Dobsonian mount with tension adjustments, 4 slot eyepiece holder and front carry-handle
- Supplied with fully multicoated 1.25" 9mm Plössl and 2" 30mm Superview eyepieces
- 8x50 Right-Angled Correct Image finderscope for comfort and convenience
- 2" dual-speed Crayford focuser
- 10:1 fine focus adjustment for precise focusing
- Crayford design provides smooth focusing, with no image shift
- Includes a 2" to 1.25" adapter so you can use 2" and 1.25" eyepieces and accessories
- 35mm focus extension enables focus when using long focal length 2" eyepieces
- Brass compression rings holds items securely without marring the barrels
- Handy measurement scale makes it easy to remember focus positions when changing eyepieces
- Supplied flat-pack but quick and easy to assemble
- Altitude tension clutch on the sides provides smooth, accurate movement and easy adjustment to suit different payloads and personal preference
- The azimuth axis (on the bottom) features a 'Lazy Susan' style roller bearing assembly for smooth 360º movement and an adjustable tensioner
- A handle on the front makes the Dobsonian mount easy to move around the garden
- A handy 4-position eyepiece holder on the side provides convenient storage for eyepieces and accessories
8x50 Right Angled Finderscope
- Straight through finderscopes can be uncomfortable and inconvenient so most StellaLyra dobsonians are supplied with an 8x50 Right-Angle Correct Image finderscope. So no cricked neck!
- Large 50mm aperture helps spot dimmer targets
- Cross-hair reticule for precise alignment
- Two adjustment screws and a sprung loaded tensioner make it quick and easy to align the finderscope to the main telescope (can be aligned during daytime when aimed at a distant pylon, but be careful not to point it anywhere near the Sun)!
| || |
Primary Mirror Cell
- Robust primary mirror cell holds collimation well.
- Collimation is easily adjusted using oversize, easy to grip adjustment and locking knobs.
- Primary mirror cooling fan helps draw air over the mirror for faster cooling. The fan can be powered using the supplied AA battery holder (batteries not included) or a separate 12v DC power supply with centre positive 2.1mm/5.5mm DC jack.
- 35mm 2" focus extension tube with brass compression ring for eyepieces and accessories that require additional back focus distance
- 9mm 1.25" 52º Plössl eyepiece with 6mm eye-relief
- 30mm 2" 68º Superview eyepiece with 22mm eye-relief
- 8x AA battery holder with 2.1mm DC plug to fit the primary mirror cooling fan
Telescope Field of View Simulator
What's in the box
- 10" Newtonian Reflector Telescope
- Dobsonian Mount
- 8x50 Right Angled Erect Image Finderscope
- 9mm 1.25" Super-Plossl Eyepiece
- 30mm 2" Superview Eyepiece
- 35mm 2" Focus Extension tube
- 2" to 1.25" Adapter
- Cooling Fan & Battery Holder
|Model ||10" f/5 Dobsonian |
|Optical design ||Newtonian Reflector |
|Aperture ||254mm (10") |
|Focal ratio ||f/4.92 |
|Focal length ||1250mm |
|Primary mirror ||BK7 Parabolic primary mirror, minimum 93% reflectivity |
|Mirror coatings ||Aluminum and silicone dioxide (SiO2) |
|Secondary mirror ||Minimum 93% reflectivity |
|Secondary mirror holder ||4-vane all metal spider |
|Secondary Mirror Obstruction ||25% |
|Focuser ||2" dual-speed Crayford |
|Mount ||Dobsonian mount with tension clutch control |
|Finderscope ||Right Angled, 8x50 |
|Eyepiece 1 ||9mm 1.25" 52º Super-Plossl with 6mm eye-relief |
|Eyepiece 2 ||30mm 2" 68º Superview with 22mm eye-relief |
|Accessories ||35mm 2" extension tube, 2" to 1.25" eyepiece adapter & 12v battery holder for the cooling fan |
|Tube outside diameter ||305mm / 12" |
|Tube length ||1210mm / 47.6" |
|Mount Base Height ||640mm / 25.2" |
|Mount Base Diameter ||540mm / 21.3" |
|Tube weight ||15.5kg / 34lbs 3oz |
|Shipped size OTA ||140cm x 50cm x 48cm / 55.1" x 19.7" x 18.9" |
|Shipped size Base ||63cm x 63cm x 14cm / 24.8" x 24.8" x 5.5" |
|Shipped weight OTA ||24kg / 52lbs 14oz |
|Shipped weight Base ||16kg / 35lbs 4oz |
Downloads / Manuals
StellaLyra 8" / 10" / 12" Dobsonian Assembly Manual
|Average Rating (1 Review): |Big solid well spec'd Dob
Saturday, 21 August 2021 | Graham
This is my 2nd Dob, the first being a 5". The scope arrived from FLO within 24 hrs and was packaged in 2 boxes; a very large one for the OTA and a smaller one for the flat-packed mount. So far the clouds have done their usual trick so it hasn't had it's own first light yet, but the quality of the parts and the spec, including a RACI finder and dual speed focuser made the package attractive vs other options. Everything went together well with the tube mounting/pivot arrangement being particularly sturdy, with adjustable tension and sliding action to find the right centre of gravity. So far the only minor niggle is that the 35mm extension tube could do with being 25mm, to accommodate the 30mm 2" EP's focus point. I've made an unboxing video on my Jenham's Astro YouTube channel (https://youtu.be/Shi13mKbs4w). I look forward to using the scope soon.
Please fill in the form below to ask a question.