Is the Viper HD noticeably better than the more affordable Diamondback HD?
There are some minor mechanical differences (i.e. the Viper HD has locking diopter adjustment) but it is the optics that differ most.
The Viper HD uses a higher grade of HD glass. This reduces chromatic aberration (colour fringing around bright edges) to an absolute minimum. The Viper HD also features higher grade 'XR' optical coatings. Together, these differences provide noticeably higher performance (most noticeable when observing at dawn or dusk, in lower light). Specifically, the Viper HD views are brighter with reduced glare, higher edge sharpness and better colour rendition.
However, it costs a lot to squeeze the last ounce of performance from an optical design so the 'law of diminishing returns' applies (the Viper HDs price is roughly double that of the Diamondback HD but the increase in performance, though noticeable, is not).
The Viper HD is undeniably a superior binocular but the Diamondback HD offers higher value for money.
About this product
Part Number: v200
NEW for 2018
New updated Vortex Viper HD binoculars offer the following improvements over their predecessors:
- Significantly wider field of view!
- Higher quality prisms.
- Higher quality optics.
- Closer focus.
- A little smaller (by about a Mouse's whisker)!
- Slightly heavier (about the weight of a large strawberry)!
They continue to use HD (High Density) extra-low dispersion glass with XR™ anti-reflective coatings for outstanding edge-to-edge clarity.
From a size and weight perspective, the Viper HD binoculars remain one of the lightest, most compact, full-size premium quality binoculars on the market.
Supplied with the versatile Vortex Binocular Harness Pack (GlassPak™) so you can carry the binocular comfortably in it's own protective case, even for long periods of time, ready for use at a moments notice.
- HD Lens Elements: HD (High Density) extra-low dispersion glass delivers impressive resolution and colour fidelity, resulting in High Definition images.
- XR Lens Coatings: Vortex proprietary XR anti-reflective coatings, fully multi-coated on all air-to-glass lens surfaces, increase light transmission for maximum brightness.
- Phase Correction: Used on roof prism models only—coating enhances resolution and contrast.
- Roof Prisms: Valued for greater durability and a more compact size.
- Waterproof: Optics are sealed with O-rings to prevent moisture, dust, and debris from getting inside the binocular.
- Fogproof: Argon gas purging guarantees superior fogproof and waterproof performance.
- Rubber Armour: Provides a secure, non-slip grip, and durable external protection.
- ArmorTek: Exterior lenses are protected by ArmorTek — an ultrahard, scratch-resistant compound that repels oil, dirt and the corrosive salts of fingerprints.
- Twist Eyecups: Twist up and down to precise, intermediate settings to maximise custom fit for comfortable viewing with or without spectacles.
- Center Focus Wheel: Adjusts the focus of both binocular barrels at the same time.
- Locking Diopter: Adjusts for differences in a user's eyes. Located on the right eyepiece.
- Tripod Adaptable: Compatible with a tripod adapter, allowing use on a tripod or car window mount.
What's in the box
- Vortex Binoculars
- Tethered Objective Lens Covers
- Comfort Neck Strap
- Vortex Binocular Harness Pack
|Magnification ||8 x ||10 x |
|Objective Lens Diameter ||42 mm ||42 mm |
|Eye Relief ||18 mm ||17 mm |
|Linear Field of View ||137 m/1000 meters ||114m/1000 meters |
|Angular Field Of View ||7.8 degrees ||6.5 degrees |
|Close Focus ||5 feet / 1.52 m ||5 feet / 1.52 m |
|Interpupillary Distance ||56-76 mm ||56-76 mm |
|Height ||5.6 inches / 142mm ||5.6 inches / 142mm |
|Width ||4.9 inches / 124mm ||4.9 inches / 124mm |
|Weight ||24.3 ounces / 690g ||24.7 ounces / 700g |
Downloads / Manuals
The following manuals and downloads are available for this product:
Vortex Optics Viper HD Manual (PDF)
Please fill in the form below to ask a question.
Q1. How much do these binoculars weigh?
The Vortex Optics Viper HD 8x42 binoculars weigh 675g / 24.2oz and the 10x42 binoculars weigh 685g / 24.6oz.