ES Reid Checked Telescope
Es Reid is highly regarded in the optical industry so to ensure our refractors perform at their very best we send them to him for checking and, if necessary, tuning on his optical bench.
Inevitably some telescopes require more time on the bench than others but we average the costs so this extra layer of quality control adds only £75 to the purchase price.
A small price to pay for peace of mind.
You can order your telescope with confidence knowing it will have well figured optics, negligible false colour and spherical aberration, and no astigmatism (the bane of any optical system!). Star shapes will be round, not triangular, oval or egg-shaped!
You know it makes sense :-)
Checked & tuned, for details see here.
New updated William Optics Star-71.
The Original Star 71 featured a five-element design that included one FPL-53 ED glass lens. This new Star-71 II has a simplified four-element design that includes two FPL-53 ED glass lenses. Two ED Glass elements provide a high level of colour correction and the 4-element design is easier to collimate during manufacture, it should also hold it’s collimation better than the previous model.
With it's fast f4.9 focal-ratio and fully corrected 30mm (APS-C) imaging circle the Star-71 II is an excellent choice for astrophotography (it does not require a separate reducer/flattener).
The 2.5" Dual Speed Rack and Pinion Focuser's drawtube terminates in a male M48x0.75 thread and a wide M48 female threaded Canon EOS adapter ring is included. (Similar rings are available for other camera brands).
- 71mm f/4.9 Imaging Refractor Telescope.
- 4-element design with two FPL-53 ED glass elements for enhanced colour correction.
- Does not require not a flattener/reducer.
- 30mm (APS-C) imaging circle.
- 2.5" dual speed R&P focuser.
- Includes tube-rings and Vixen style dovetail.
- Total weight: 2.4 kg / 5.3 lbs .
- Focuser drawtube travel = 1.38" / 35mm.
- An optional 1.25" 90-deg dielectric mirror diagonal is available for those wishing to use the Star-71 for visual astronomy. This diagonal includes a custom adapter that connects directly to the M65 female thread on the telescope's focuser tube. Note: the Star-71 cannot be used with regular 1.25" diagonals and will not reach focus with larger 2" diagonals.
- Includes high quality soft carry case.
Back Focus Details
Telescope Field of View Simulator