Review of the original ZWO ASiair:
"The ASIair is lightweight and compact, and designed to be fitted on or near to your telescope with hook and loop pads. With so many useful features it is difficult to accurately describe its functions in just a few words, but basically it is a stand-alone computer that can control ZWO cameras and a filter wheel, provide Wi-Fi connectivity to a mount, and auto-guiding.
Not only is the ASIair unit itself nicely made, the app that controls it is slick, well designed, and simple to use. Astronomy software can become complicated and having to navigate overly technical applications in the dark with cold hands is fairly daunting.
This app is a pleasure to use and provides almost everything you need to know on one screen, including image progress, guiding graph and image preview. There's a histogram stretch, to give an idea of how much faint signal the camera is collecting. Colour images can be debayered - where colour filters are adjusted - while you are on the move." Tim Jardine writing for BBC Sky @ Night Magazine
About this product
Part Number: ZWO-ASIAIR-PRO
Incoming - New ASIAIR Pro - Pre-Order Now, Shipping early 2020
The new ASIAIR Pro is a significant upgrade to the incredibly popular, original ASIAIR:
- Power input / outputs - DC 12v @ 5A (min voltage 11.5V, max current 6A). 4x 12v / 3A DC output ports, 2.1*5.5mm center positive.
- Improved Storage - 32GB TF card with 20GB free and an additional 64GB USB drive supplied (plus you can use your own external storage)
- Improved Mounting - A redesigned case makes the ASIAIR Pro easier to mount using your scopes dovetail bar.
- New CNC Aluminium Case - New metal case is much stronger and better at dissipating heat with minimal impact on WiFi signal.
- Pro Software Features - Live stacking, automated meridian flip and more features in development!
Specifications still subject to change - the information below applies to the original ASIAIR but will be updated as we receive more details on the ASIAIR Pro.
Astrophotography without a PC or laptop!
ASIAIR PRO is a smart WiFi device. It is equipped with a lightweight power management module, ample USB interfaces, and multiple dovetail mounting methods.
With the rich features of the ASIAIR App, the whole procedure from device integration to image capture runs particularly smooth.
ASIAIR PRO is the second generation of ZWO that has been continuously improved and newly designed since the first generation of ASIAIR was released in July 2018.
1. Excellent craftsmanship, strong tactile appeal
Superb craftsmanship with a strong tactile appeal ASIAIR PRO shell is made out of Aluminium and processed by CNC tech. After the surface is anodised, it not only protects the shell well, but also has a comfortable feel. The size of the whole machine is 92 x 67 x 35 mm, making its size and weight excellent, which can be easily grasped by hand.
2. Unique look and easy installation
The slot/port position of ASIAIR PRO is nice and symmetrical, with M4 and 1/4 inch openings on the bottom and the side. With the use of the dovetail, the installation and removal become easy. The whole machine adopts bright vibrant Ferrari red tones, and the front is painted with laser star maps of the constellation Ursa Minor and Ursa Major, which is very beautiful.
3. Integrated power management, more storage space
ASIAIR PRO is equipped with a lightweight power management module. There are four DC 5.5 x 2.1 mm power outputs on the side of the body, one DSLR shutter release port, two USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 ports each. The power supply is stable and reliable, the interface is rich and diverse, and the wiring is easy and orderly. It also comes with 84 GB of free storage, so you can capture images freely.
4. LED indicator, clearly indicates the working status
The LEDs will show the working status clearly. What’s more, it has the key operation warning tone, which makes the whole operation under control.
ASIAIR supports both iOS and Android systems.
1. Simple APP interface, as easy as 1, 2, 3.
2. Accurate focus: After the rough focus is completed, select one star, then accurate focusing can be done through curves such as brightness and HFD. It can also be completed with ZWO EAF by remote control.
3. Polar Alignment: Based on the powerful plate-solving function, you can finish arc-second polar axis alignment only within few minutes.
4. Accurate GoTo: With the rich celestial object database, precise GoTo can be achieved after selecting the target.
5. Stable guiding: Independent and stable guiding can be achieved without the PC.
6. Preview mode: You can see the image of the target directly under ‘Preview’.
7. Autorun: Set the target and configure the schedule, ASIAIR will execute the imaging sequence automatically.
8. Live Stacking: You can see the stacked image (lower noise with calibration frames) of the target directly while capturing.
ASIAIR PRO is a smart WiFi device that allows you to control all ASI USB 3.0 cameras, ASI Mini series cameras, and Mainstream DSLR cameras. (It can not support ASI120MM/MC camera)
1. Some DSLR cameras have a 30-second exposure limit, which requires an external shutter release cable to ASIAIR PRO.
2. The items with an exclamation mark in the table above have not been verified by actual tests and will be continuously updated in the future.
We have also been working closely with major manufacturers to complete bringing in the match of iOptron, Vixen, Rainbow, Avalon, Explore Scientific and other models (including some new models). For now, the ASIAIR PRO is able to support hundreds of equatorial mounts from more than 20 manufacturers worldwide. For details, please refer to the “ASIAIR PRO User Manual”.
What's in the box
- ASIAIR Pro
- 64GB USB Memory Stick
- 1.5m Male / Female DC Extension Cable
- 2x 1m DC Male Power Cables
- 2x 0.5m DC Male Power Cables
- 0.75m USB 3.0 Data Cable
- USB to RS232 Cable
- Quick Start Guide
|Average Rating (3 Reviews): |ZWO ASiair pro wireless controller
Monday, 30 March 2020 | Peter
I recently bought a few items from FLO and all were delivered timely and well packaged. This has been a large investment to my hobby as I have moved from a skywatcher Newtonian 150p and a canon 1100 DSLR with guiding on my AZ EQ5 GT mount to a Skywatcher Esprit 100 ED, mono ASI1600 GT with off axis guider, ZWO EAF and the ASI 120mm mini for guiding. The reason I also went for the ASiair pro was the eagerness to stop being outside all night with my laptop. The ASiair itself came much quicker than I anticipated considering the global situation at the moment.
As to the ASiair Pro itself, i was very pleased at how it worked straight out of the box, very little setup required and it obviously recognised all the ZWO equipment straight away, I did anticipate a few issues, not with the ASiair but with my own tablet - a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.5 as it only has 3G RAM and the spec of the ASIair suggests a minimum of 4G but I have had no issues with performance that I can see. I am not a massively experienced astrophotographer, very much a beginner but this has made things much easier for me - still a very steep learning curve though with the ASI1600 gt as I have never used a mono camera before but things are moving on well.
I will say one negative thing though - the WiFi connection whilst very stable at close range (even through my kitchen wall) whilst the ASiair has 'line of sight' to me, once the scope moves through the night and ends up being obscured by the scope itself the signal will drop - this is not a massive issue in that any pre set autorun is in place, it will continue to run without connection to the tablet but obviously you cannot keep an eye on progress/guiding and the only way to see what is going on is to take the tablet back to the scope and regain 'line of sight'.
I have come up with a solution to this by purchasing a secondary WiFi repeater which I can leave in line of sight of the ASiair and with un obstructed view of my house - I suppose a manufacturing remedy for this would be to have an external moveable aerial which could be mounted at another location near the scope.
All in all though a very good piece of equipment that will make astrophotography an even more enjoyable hobby for me.
Monday, 30 March 2020 | Tim
A fabulous service from FLO (as usual), despite the horrid times we are all going through with the pandemic right now.
The Asiair Pro arrived as pre-ordered, with good email contact from FLO keeping me informed, it was robustly packaged and effectively addressed too, a super start.
I havenít deduced itís many functions yet, but I have added it to my Moonfish ED 80 Apo elegantly (it looks very smart), connected to itís wi-Fi easily and started to explore its capabilities, even though the clouds have inevitably rolled in.
Thanks FLO, Iím sure this will help my imaging, I am keeping my traditional set up with laptop etc. on my other main scope, Explore Scientific David Levy Comet Hunter and plan to get more use from both set ups as a result.
Tuesday, 21 January 2020 | Pete
I've had the AsiAir Pro for around a week now and I'm totally blown away by it!
Not having a permanent setup means I've missed many a clear sky due to getting home from work late and faced with around forty five minutes to get started I would give it a miss.
I've had two clear nights under the stars with this unit now and from putting the tripod down to capturing data takes around ten minutes! (and I'm sure it will get quicker!)
The unit itself is well made, with plenty of ports. I plugged a USB3 hub into one of the USB2 ports to accommodate my EAF & EFW as I had five plugs and four sockets. The hub worked without any issues at all. I've not had a chance to use my heater strips with the unit yet as awaiting FLO to take stock of the adaptors (2.1mm on unit and RCA on strips) so still using my dew heater controller alongside the AsiAir.
Overall I am extremely happy with the AsiAir. It really is a game changer!
No handset, no laptop, but more importantly, no cables!
Please fill in the form below to ask a question or request a price match.