INCLUDED IN THE BOX
- ASI174MC Camera
- M42-1.25" Nosepiece Adapter
- 1.25" Cap
- 2-metre USB 3.0 Cable
- 2-metre ST-4 Cable
- Driver CD
The ZWO ASI174MC features the Sony Exmor IMX174 2.35MP sensor with Pregius global shutter technology.
It is well suited to planetary or lunar imaging and auto-guiding. You can also use it with solar telescopes but the mono model is better suited to this application.
Like the mono ASI174MM the colour ASI174MC can also be used for short exposure deep sky imaging but amp glow will become a problem if you are too ambitious.
If you don't need such a big sensor with large pixels and want a very good colour camera consider the ASI290MC or ASI224MC which, in our opinion, are better cameras.
Sony IMX174 CMOS Sensor Features
- The Sony IMX174 monochrome CMOS sensor separates the ASI174MC from previous ASI models. The 1/1.2” sensor with 5.86µm pixels in a 1936 x 1216 array is well suited to high quality solar, lunar and planetary imaging.
- Pregius Global Shutter with analog memory scans all pixels simultaneously. The Sony IMX174’s global shutter function improves image quality by making sure images of moving objects avoid focal plane distortion. This is especially helpful when performing solar or lunar imaging. Bad seeing, wind, or movement can alter the image if the readout speed is not quick enough (< 30fps).
- Sony Exmor technology uses column-parallel A/D conversion for high speed processing, low noise, and low power dissipation.
- ROI, or Region of Interest Mode lets you capture up to 16 areas inside the effective pixels. This ability allows for even higher frame rates.
- High speed imaging with a max of 164.5 fps at 10 bit ADC, and max of 128.2 fps at 12 bit ADC
- Trigger Mode allows an external pulse to control accumulation time.
ZWO ASI Camera Body
The ZWO ASI174 MC camera seems like a natural progression from the ASI120MM-S. It comes with high speed USB 3.0 port, standard 2″ M42 x 0.75 internal thread interface, 0.25″ tripod thread mount on the rear, an IR-Cut window and an ST4 Guide Port. With the ST4 Guide Port you can use 3rd party software like Maxim LD or PHD, to guide your mount for longer exposures.
Dimensions of the ASI USB 3.0 Aluminium body are 62mm x 36mm, or 2.44 inches in diameter by 1.41 inches deep, and it weighs only 4.2 ounces.
Camera Field of View Simulator
Optical Window Transmission
This ZWO colour cameras features a UV IR-cut off filter as an optical window, the transmission chart of this is shown below.