INCLUDED IN THE BOX
- ASI174MM Camera
- M42-1.25" Nosepiece Adapter
- 1.25" Cap
- 2-metre USB 3.0 Cable
- 2-metre ST-4 Cable
- Driver CD
The ZWO ASI174MM Mono imaging camera features Sony's Exmor IMX174 2.35MP CMOS sensor with Pregius global shutter technology is an excellent choice for lunar, planetary and solar imaging!
"This is a fantastic all-round camera capable of imaging Solar System objects as well as deep-sky targets. Its forte is producing spectacular, large-area captures of bright objects such as the Sun and Moon. Although other cameras from ZWO themselves, have encroached on this capability, the amazing frame rate offered by the ASI174MM makes it a first-class performer for this sort of application." Pete Lawrence writing for 'BBC Sky at Night' magazine Aug 2015.
The ZWO ASI174MM is such a good all-rounder it seems unfair to mention it’s one weakness: When used for deep sky imaging amp glow becomes apparent on one side of the frame and increases with longer exposure times. Dark frame subtraction can remove it but it isn’t ideal.
Deep sky imaging aside, the ASI174MM is a true diamond with nice large pixels that suit most telescopes and applications.
Sony IMX174 CMOS Sensor Features
- The Sony IMX174 Mono CMOS sensor separates the ASI174MM from previous ASI models. It's 1/1.2” sensor with 5.86µm pixels in a 1936 x 1216 array is very well suited to high quality solar, lunar, and planetary imaging.
- Pregius Global Shutter function with analog memory scans all pixels simultaneously. The Sony IMX174’s global shutter function improves image quality by making sure images of moving objects avoid focal plane distortion. This is especially helpful when performing solar or lunar imaging. Bad seeing, wind, or movement can alter the image if the readout speed is not quick enough (< 30fps).
- Sony Exmor technology uses column-parallel A/D conversion for high speed processing, low noise, and low power dissipation.
- ROI, or Region of Interest Mode lets you capture up to 16 areas inside the effective pixels. This ability allows for even higher frame rates.
- High speed imaging with a max of 164.5 fps at 10 bit ADC, and max of 128.2 fps at 12 bit ADC
ZWO ASI Camera Body
The ZWO ASI174MM Mono CMOS Camera seems like a natural progression from the ASI120MM-S. It comes with high speed USB 3.0 port, standard 2″ M42 x 0.75 internal thread interface, 0.25″ tripod thread mount on the rear, an AR window and an ST4 Guide Port. With the ST4 Guide Port, you can use 3rd party software, like Maxim LD or PHD, to guide your mount for longer exposures.
Dimensions of the aluminium body are 62mm x 36mm, or 2.44 inches in diameter by 1.41 inches deep, and it weighs only 4.2 ounces.
Camera Field of View Simulator