About this product
Part Number: 1452030
The 10Micron GM2000 HPS II German equatorial mount is the second mount in their equatorial mount line-up.
Though heavier than its smaller GM1000 brother, it is still a transportable very sturdy platform that possesses the same high level of Italian engineering, craftmanship, build quality and features of its bigger brothers. An excellent choice for those wanting a truly premium mount for astronomy and astrophotography.
With a weight of 33kg / 73lbs (mount head only) it is still transportable and can carry a total equipment payload of up to 50kg /110lbs making it an excellent choice for those wanting a mount for larger astronomical equipment.
Separable into Dec and RA axis for easy carrying and assembly.
The mount separates into two components weighing 18kg (40lbs) and 15kg (33lbs) making this GM2000 significantly easier to transport and carry.
The Combi replaces the GM2000 Monolith and Ultraport versions and includes an additional mount locking system for long term stability for permanent installations.
This new “Combi” mount is basically a GM2000 HPS II Ultraport that is “splittable” in two parts, but features an additional locking system. This newly added locking feature is for those who will have the mount permanently installed in an observatory and will ensure long-term stability, comparable to the previous GM2000 HPS II Monolith model. However, the mount can still easily revert to the Ultraportable (“splittable”) version by simply removing the locking screws. The advantages of the previous GM2000 models still feature in this new GM2000 HPSII Combi mount which will now replace both the previous Monolith and Ultraport models. The technical specifications, sizes and weight of the new GM2000 HPS II COMBI are exactly the same as the GM2000 HPS II Ultraport.
All 10Micron GM mounts feature High Precision and Speed 'HPS'.
Traditional worm and wheel gears combined with the latest state-of-the-art encoder technology enables these mounts to perform at the same level of precision as professional direct-drive mounts.
Two high-precision proprietary (1/10th arcsec resolution) 'absolute encoders' are mounted directly on each axes. These encoders provide very impressive high precision GoTo pointing (typically to within 20 arc secs) and tracking accuracy (<1 arcsec).
The diagram above shows the 10Micron GM mount RA tracking error profile measured with an encoder coupled to the RA axis. To show how accurate the tracking is, Jupiter and its moon Ganymede are shown as they appear from Earth at the same scale in arc seconds.
The high-speed slewing of the mount, from 2 degrees to sprightly 20 degrees per second, is achieved using high performance servo motors.
The GM2000’s Right Ascension and Declination axes, both made from 50mm diameter alloy steel (for maximum rigidity) are driven by two servo brushless AC motors, with a belt drive reduction with automatic backlash recovery that results in a backlash-free system. Both axes feature classic worm and wheel gear pairs. The worm wheels are made of (B14) bronze, with a diameter of 172mm and with 215 teeth. Each worm is 24mm in diameter and are made of alloy steel.
The mount features a dual Vixen/Losmandy type dovetail mounting saddle clamp that provides wide compatibility with telescopes from various manufacturers. Once you have mounted your telescope and equipment onto the mount, you can then use the electronic balance function to achieve perfect balance in both RA and DEC without unlocking the clutches.
GM mounts can track 30 degrees/2 hours past the meridian so long duration astrophotography is easily achievable.
The absolute encoders provides extremely high tracking accuracy (<1 arcsec) so autoguiding is not necessary. However, GM mounts are compatible with an auto-guider, if required, via a standard ST4-compatible guide port.
The built-in object database contains celestial objects from the major astronomical catalogues (e.g. Messier, SAO, NGC and more) down to 16th magnitude. The mount’s tracking rates are adjustable depending on the object being studied and the orbital elements of comets, asteroids and even artificial satellites can be loaded directly to the mount (without the need for an external PC) so that these celestial objects can be followed across the sky accurately.
Electronic Control System
A PC is not required to operate the mount as GM mounts can be controlled using the supplied weatherproof 4-line control handset keypad, with the computer’s electronic “brain” being housed in an independent portable external control box.
The handset’s display and the large ergonomic keypad (ideal for when wearing gloves), features a red backlight for ease of use in the dark. An internal heater keeps the handset display warm when the mount is being used at low-temperatures which allows for maximum readability in all temperature and lighting conditions.
The connectors of the motors, encoders, power and handset all use security lock screws for robust and secure connection.
If you wish to connect your own PC to control the mount, a WiFi, RS-232 or Ethernet connection is needed. The GM mounts can then be controlled using commonly available software packages via the proprietary 10Micron ASCOM driver (or Meade compatible command protocol). Included with the mount is software that creates a “virtual handset” on your PC with the same functionality and features as the physical hand set for easy (and familiar) control from your computer. Furthermore, the RS-232 port on the external can be utilised to control an observatory dome (and without a PC). The mount can also be parked in different user-defined positions in case of any internal “obstructions” and can also be switched on and off using the dedicated connector on the control box panel. All these features help make the GM HPS mounts ideal for observatories and for remote operation.
- Type - German Equatorial Mount
- Weight - 33kg/73 lbs without accessories
- Weight - Ultraportable Version - 18kg/40lbs and 15kg/33lbs without accessories
- Instrument Payload Capacity - 50kg/110lbs
- Latitude Range - 20° – 70°
- Azimuth Fine Adjustment Range - /− 10°
- Counterweight Shaft - 40 mm diameter, stainless steel,weight 4 kg – 9 lbs
- Axes - 50 mm diameter, alloy steel
- Bearings - Pre-loaded tapered roller bearing
- Worm Wheels - 215 teeth, 172 mm diameter, B14 bronze
- Worms - diameter 24mm, tempered alloy steel, ground and lapped
- Transmission System - Backlash-free system with timing belt and automatic backlash recovery
- Motors - 2 axes servo brushless
- Power Supply - 24 V DC
- Power Consumption - ~ 0,7 A while tracking
~ 3 A at maximum speed
~ 5 A peak
- Go To Speed - Adjustable from 2°/s to 20°/s
- Pointing Accuracy - < 20” with internal multiple-stars software mapping
- Average Tracking Accuracy - < /− 1″ typical for 15 minutes (< 0.7″ RMS)
with internal multiple-stars software mapping and compensation of flexure and polar alignment errors
- Operational Temperature Range (standard) - – 15° C to 35° C
05° F to 95° F
- Special Operational Temperature Range - Optional, for very low temperature (-35°C)
- Communication Ports - RS–232 port; GPS port; autoguide ST-4 protocol port; Ethernet port
- PC Control - Remote control via RS-232 or Ethernet; proprietary ASCOM driver or Meade compatible protocol; update of firmware and orbital elements of comets, asteroids and artificial satellites via RS-232 or Ethernet; virtual control panel via RS-232 or Ethernet. Wi-Fi included to control the mount via Tablet, Smartphone etc.
What's in the box
Whats In The Box
- GM 2000 HPS II Ultraport Mount head with built-in precision absolute axis-encoders and WiFi option included
- Control box with onboard-intelligence Linux-processor, stand alone system V. 2 HPS version firmware
- 4-line key pad unit with graphic display and temperature control (#1452059)
- Base flange adaptor
- Counterweight bar with counterweight end stop
- Allen key set
- Power and connection cables
- USB stick with software and manual
- Strong transport cardboard carton-box with shaped foam (#1452066)
Please note: Counterweights, Dovetail clamp, tripod and power supply are not supplied as standard with this package. They are available separately, or as part of the Professional accessory upgrade package (#1452026U) which also includes additional items.
Please fill in the form below to ask a question.