...the mount performed well regardless of the configuration we used; Sky-Watcher has yet again come up with a useful addition to its family of mounts. BBC Sky at Night Magazine, June 2015 - Read full review
About this product
Part Number: 20302
Compatible with EQMOD using a Lynx Astro EQDIR adapter :-)
The Sky-Watcher AZ-EQ5GT is essentially a smaller, lighter version of the highly successful AZ EQ6GT.
"In EQ mode the mount can support 15kg of equipment: that's 15kg of telescope for purely visual or up to 15kg including the camera, auto guider and other kit for astrophotography. Swapping to alt-az mode the mount can take up to two 15kg scopes on each saddle, making it ideal for use at public events. Overall the mount performed well regardless of the configuration we used; Sky-Watcher has yet again come up with a useful addition to its family of mounts." Paul Money writing for 'BBC Sky at Night' magazine June 2015.
In EQ mode, the AZ-EQ5GT is designed for either visual use or astro-imaging. In AZ mode, it is primarily intended for visual use and in this mode two telescopes can be mounted simultaneously in parallel.
Patented Sky-Watcher dual-encoder 'FreedomFind' technology allows the telescope to be moved manually in either axis without the mount losing its positional information. This gives the user freedom, convenience and flexibility during observational sessions.
FEATURES & SPECIFICATIONS
- Payload Capacity: 15kg (EQ Mode) or 15kg+15kg (Alt-AZ Dual-Mode)
- Latitude Adjustment Range: 0-90°
- Azimuth Adjustment Range: Approx 15°
- Weight (excl. tripod & counterweights): 7.7kg
- Counterweights: 2 x 3.5kg
- Dovetail Saddles: 2 x 45mm (Accepts Sky-Watcher/Vixen type Dovetail Bars)
- Tripod: 1.75” Stainless Steel Legs (also compatible with EQ5/HEQ5)
- Counterweight Bar: 18mm Diameter, Length 162mm + 120mm Extension
- Motors: 1.8° Hybrid Stepper Motors
- Transmission: 135:1 Worm Drive + 36:12 Timing Belt Drive + 64 Micro-Step/1.8° Stepper Motor Drive
- Gear Ratio: 810
- Resolution: 5184000 Counts/Rev (approx. 0.25 arc-second)
- Maximum Slewing Speed: 3.4°/second
- Tracking Rates: Sidereal, Solar and Lunar
- Tracking Mode: Equatorial or Alt-Azimuth
- Auto-Guiding Speed: 0.125x, 0.25x, 0.5x, 0.75x & 1x
- Whisper Quiet Slewing
- PPEC Control in EQ Mode
- DSLR Electronic Shutter Release Ports: 2
- Autoguider Interface: Yes
- USB Interface: Yes
- Hand Controller: Synscan (42,900+ Object Database)
- Polar Alignment: Via Software Control (Polar Scope optional)
- Pointing Accuracy: Up to 5 Arc-Minutes (RMS)
- Resolution of Aux R.A./Dec Axis Encoders: 5144 Counts/Rev., approx. 4.2 Arc-Minutes
- Power Requirement: DC 11-16V 2A (Sky-Watcher 7Ah or 17Ah Power Tank Recommended)
|Average Rating (2 Reviews): |What a great portable mount
Tuesday, 15 November 2016 | Erik
I will not get into detail but I want to share some information that is not mentioned in the specificiaton or manual.
It comes with an internal USB port for motorcontroller fireware update and PC remotecontrol. NOTE that you still need to use the supplied serial PC link cable to update the Synscan handcontrol firmware. That will not work through the internal USB.
The internal USB port has a Prolific chipset, hence does not remember the COM port if cable is unplugged. I strongly recommend to purchase the Astro Lynx EQDIR FTDI USB or similar if you intend to remotecontrol the mount from a PC. FTDI remembers the COM port and is more reliable if you are running Windows 10.
A very robust and versatile portable mount.
Monday, 25 July 2016 | Guy
I have had the AZ EQ5-GT mount and optional Polarscope for nearly a year now and used it sporadically. I wanted something robust and highly portable that could be used in EQ mode anywhere on the earth without counterweights or tubes knocking a tripod.
Other than a stripped thread on the thread that attaches the pier to the tripod I have no niggles about the kit.
I'm a casual amateur with untrained eyes newly discovering a hobby after a few decades lapse and it is a luxury for me to have Saturn stay in the middle of the FOV at X 360 after a simple polar alignment in the middle of the desert. So far the mount has travelled 35,000 miles as checked baggage and I use it for a variety of payloads from a 102 mm Skywatcher refractor, 150 mm Skywatcher reflector, cameras and a Vixen VMC200L.
The art of reliable tracking appears to be time spent doing a good polar alignment and very accurate balancing of equipment on both axis prior to the end of twilight.
It fits the bill for me, for the price I am impressed by its performance and functionality, it continues to deliver what I want.
Power is provided by a hand luggage IATA compatible Tracer 12v Lithium Polymer Battery Pack that allows the scope to last all night.
The mount and polarscope were originally aligned at sea level. It is a doddle to set up up each time and breaking it down quickly to throw in the boot is also easy. I haven't even started training the PEC, AZ mode or the GoTo SynScan yet.
Please fill in the form below to ask a question or request a price match.