About this product
Part Number: C401A
Next generation design!
The iOptron® CEM40 mount is a remarkably capable center-balanced equatorial mounts and the first to feature iOptron's next generation design.
Weighing in at only 15.8lbs, it can support a payload of up to 40lbs. Which is remarkable!
Features include iOptron's integrated electronic polar finder scope, known as the iPolar, which ensures accurate polar alignment even when the pole star is obscured.
Large Clutch levers on the quick-lock drive engagement system make it easy to lock the gears into place.
Innovative iOptron Technology
IOptron's patent-pending Universal Self-Centering Saddle 'USCS' accommodates Losmandy and Vixen-style dovetail plates. It also accepts Sky-Watcher & Celestron dovetails.
In addition the CEM40 features iOptron's ultra-quiet, low-power consumption stepper motor drive system for precise pointing and tracking.
Computerised Mount Features
Using iOptron's Go2Nova® 8407 GOTO hand controller you can automatically point and centre any of the celestial targets (depending of course on date and location) contained in it's 359,000+ object database!
With the included tripod, 5 kg counterweight (8027) and computerised GOTO technology, observers are just a telescope away from an impressive viewing experience!
- New design, centre-balanced equatorial mount (CEM) for maximum payload and minimum mount weight
- Designed for both visual astronomy and astrophotography
- Maximum payload of 40 lbs (18 kg) with the mount weight of only 15.8 lbs (7.2 kg)
- All metal and CNC machined with red/black anodising
- Easy to use quick-lock gear clutches
- Integrated iPolar electronic polar finder
- Low periodic error (< ± 7 arc seconds)
- Permanent periodic error correction (PPEC)
- Precision stepper motor for precise GOTO and accurate tracking
- Go2Nova® 8407+ controller with Advanced GOTONOVA® GOTO Technology with built-in heater
- Integrated ST-4 autoguiding port
- 32-channel Global Positioning System (GPS)
- USB communication port
- Cable management system
- New 8” Losmandy/Vixen saddle
- Optional 1.5 or 1.75" inch heavy-duty stainless steel tripod (5kg / 8kg)
- Optional WiFi for mount control via SmartPhone/Tablet/Computer
Go2Nova Hand Controller 8407
- 200,000+ object database
- 8 line, 21 character back lit large screen LCD
- Low temperature operation as low as -20ºC
- User friendly interface
- 9 speed slew control with quiet mode
- Large object database
- Serial port for firmware upgrade
What's in the box
Supplied in two boxes.
- CEM40 mount head
- CW shaft
- 1x 11lb (5kg) Counterweight
- GO2Nova 8407+ hand controller with cord.
- 1.5" or 1.75" steel tripod if applicable
|Mount ||Center-balanced Equatorial Mount (CEM) |
|Max Payload ||40 lb (18 kg), exclude counterweight* |
|Mount weight ||15.8 lb (7.2 kg) |
|Payload/Mount weight ratio ||2.5 |
|Structure Material ||All metal, CNC machined, red/black anodised |
|Latitude adjustment range ||0º ~ 60º(special CW shaft mounting if <10° ) |
|Azimuth adjustment range ||± 6º |
|Tracking accuracy (PE)** ||<±7 arcsec |
|PEC ||PPEC |
|Period ||400 sec |
|Worm diameter ||Φ17mm, Brass |
|Right Ascension worm wheel ||Φ110mm, 216 teeth, zero backlash |
|Declination worm wheel ||Φ110mm, 216 teeth, zero backlash |
|Right Ascension axis shaft ||Φ45mm steel |
|Declination axis shaft ||Φ45mm steel |
|Right Ascension bearings ||Φ68mm |
|Declination bearings ||Φ68mm |
|Counterweight shaft ||Φ28X410 mm, Stainless Steel (1.2 kg) |
|Counterweight ||1x 5kg (11lbs) |
|Motor ||Precision stepper motor, 1.8º/128x micro-step |
|Motor resolution ||0.08 arcsec (200 PPS) |
|Transmission ||Synchronous belt |
|Hand Controller ||Go2Nova® 8407+, 8 line 21 character LCD |
|Star Database ||359,000+, star identification |
|Power ||DC 12V, 5A |
|AC adapter ||100V ~ 240V (included) |
|Power consumption ||0.6A (Tracking), 0.9A (GOTO) |
|Power-down memory ||Yes |
|Polar scope ||Internal iPolar electronic polar scope |
|Meridian treatment ||Stop (0-10° pass), flip |
|Operation temperature ||-20°C ~ +45°C |
|Zero position ||Automatic zero search |
|Dovetail saddle ||8" Losmandy D & Vixen |
|Max slew speed ||4.5°/sec (1080x) |
|Guiding port ||ST-4 |
|Communication port ||USB |
|GPS ||Yes |
|WiFi ||External (optional) |
|Cable Management ||DC12V (3A), ST4,USB |
|Tripod ||Optional 1.5" or 1.75" Stainless Steel tripod or tri-pier |
|Hard Case ||Optional |
|Operation Temperature ||-10ºC ~ 40ºC |
|Warranty ||Two year limited |
* This is only guideline. Some telescopes are unusually long or large for their weight so may require a larger mount. Consider also max' payloads for astrophotography are typically 1/3 less than for visual astronomy.
** Measured with encoder, 400 seconds
Downloads / Manuals
iOptron CEM40 Instruction Manual
iOptron Telescope ASCOM Driver:
|Average Rating (2 Reviews): |
Saturday, 1 May 2021 | Elaine
We have had a recent disappointing experience with a CEM40 we ordered. In the end we sent the mount back and asked for a refund which we received no problem from FLO. We just want to make anyone contemplating buying this mount aware of a few things. It is likely that the mounts port configurations might change so please consult the iOptron website to be fully aware of any changes, also ask the guys at FLO to be sure that any current changes to the mountís connectivity suits your requirements. We didnít test out the mount so we assume its functionality with the handset is OK but we did have problems with a loose USB connection which is now the only one to the mount that handles all of the usb inputs and is the connection to the iPolar. Anyone also buying the case at the same time should note that iOptron will transport the mount in the case and so the it will not necessarily arrive in pristine order. We have given the mount one star to get people to look at this review it isnít a reflection on how good it performs as we didnít get to test that.
Tuesday, 30 July 2019 | Paul
Received this mount last week, FLO were excellent service. I been out a few times under limited clear skies. The Ipolar works a treat, my first attempt getting 3.5 arc minutes within the NCP.
The tracking seems very good as is the goto's . Also only had a limited time guiding using ST4, but PHD2 was giving excellent results.
The 2 inch tripod is very nice and extremely stable.
all in all im a very happy man
Please fill in the form below to ask a question.
Q1. Does the CEM40 mount fit the iOptron tri-pier?
Yes - the CEM40 fits directly to the tri-pier, no additional adapters are required.