About this product
The UK's BEST 12" Dobsonian telescope!
Designed and manufactured to a very high standard by Guan Sheng Optical (GSO) in Taiwan.
With a 12" aperture, this Dobsonian telescope has 44% more light ability than 10" models. Telescopes of this size are often affectionately referred to as 'light buckets'—an excellent choice for visual astronomy.
Viewing the lunar surface will feel like you can reach out and scratch plaster! Venus and its phases are also viewable. In good seeing conditions, you can observe Mars with surface shading and polar cap, Jupiter's weather bands and a number of its Moons and Saturn with its rings, including the Cassini division, are also clearly visible. So too, are many deep sky objects such as galaxies and nebulae. For many owners, this telescope will provide a lifetime of observing.
All StellaLyra Dobsonian telescopes are fitted with a quality GSO aluminised parabolic primary mirror with minimum 93% reflectivity and a silicon-dioxide protective overcoat to ensure the surface remains bright for years to come.
Collimation knobs on the primary mirror cell provide easy collimation adjustment, without tools, and an integrated fan provides fast cooling.
This 12” model also features an impressive CNC-machined 2" Crayford focuser with 1:10 dual-speed focus adjustment for smooth, precise focusing. And no image-shift!
The focuser includes a 2" to 1.25" adapter, so you use both 2" and 1.25" eyepieces and accessories. Brass compression rings grip them securely without marring their nosepiece. A convenient 35mm focus extender is also supplied so you can achieve focus easily when using most long focal length 2" eyepieces.
Two fully multicoated eyepieces (1.25" 9mm Plössl & 2" 30mm SuperView) are included so views will be clear and sharp from the outset.
The Dobsonian base is delivered flat-packed and is easy to assemble.
A robust roller-bearing assembly provides smooth, reliable azimuth adjustments. Metal plates above and below the bearings prevent them from sinking into the softer wood (no divots!), so the movement remains smooth, even after years of use.
For altitude adjustment, a robust steel shaft and CNC-machined metal plates with large knurled tension adjustment knobs, one on each side, provide smooth, precise movements and adjustable tension.
The mount also features a convenient balance adjustment mechanism with an engraved scale that enables the telescope to be moved forward or backward for precise balance. This is useful when changing from a small eyepiece to a large, heavy one or when adding a second finderscope or binoviewer.
For comfort and convenience, a Right-Angled Correct Image 8x50 finder scope is included, so no cricked neck!
NOTE: Assembly instructions are generic for 8", 10" & 12" models, so please don't be concerned if your telescope is supplied with fewer screws than shown in the instructions.
- 304mm (12") optical aperture
- 1520mm focal length
- f/5 focal ratio
- 25% secondary mirror obstruction
- Parabolic primary mirror with minimum 93% reflectivity
- Aluminium and silicon dioxide (SiO2) protective mirror coatings
- Sturdy primary mirror-cell with easy grip collimation knobs
- Cooling fan brings the primary mirror to ambient temperature quickly for best performance
- Rigid, steel telescope tube with 4-vane, all metal secondary Spider and adjustable primary cell
- CNC-machined 2" dual-speed Crayford focuser with non-marring brass compression rings
- 2" to 1.25" adapter enables the use of both 2" and 1.25" eyepieces and accessories
- 35mm focus extension enables focus when using long focal length 2" eyepieces
- Smooth, stable Dobsonian mount with tension adjustments, four slot eyepiece holder and front carry-handle
- Supplied with fully multicoated 1.25" 9mm Plössl and 2" 30mm Superview eyepieces
- 8x50 Right-Angled Correct Image finderscope for comfort and convenience
- 2" dual-speed Crayford focuser
- 10:1 fine focus adjustment for precise focusing
- Crayford design provides smooth focusing with no image shift
- Includes a 2" to 1.25" adapter so you can use 2" and 1.25" eyepieces and accessories
- 35mm focus extension enables focus when using long focal length 2" eyepieces
- Brass compression rings grip items securely without marring the barrels
- A handy measurement scale makes it easy to remember focus positions when changing eyepieces
- Supplied flat-pack but quick and easy to assemble
- Altitude tension clutch on the sides provides smooth, accurate movement and easy adjustment to suit different payloads and personal preference
- The azimuth axis (on the bottom) features a 'Lazy Susan' style roller bearing assembly for smooth 360º movement and an adjustable tensioner
- A handle on the front makes the Dobsonian mount easy to move around the garden
- A handy 4-position eyepiece holder on the side provides convenient storage for eyepieces and accessories
8x50 Right-Angled Finderscope
- Straight-through finderscopes can be uncomfortable and inconvenient, so most StellaLyra Dobsonians are supplied with an 8x50 Right-Angle Correct Image finderscope. So no cricked neck!
- A large 50mm aperture helps spot dimmer targets
- Cross-hair reticule for precise alignment
- Two adjustment screws and a sprung loaded tensioner make it quick and easy to align the finderscope to the main telescope (it can be aligned during daytime when aimed at a distant pylon, but be careful not to point it anywhere near the Sun)!
| || |
Primary Mirror Cell
- Robust primary mirror cell holds collimation well.
- Collimation is easily adjusted using oversize, easy-to-grip adjustment and locking knobs.
- The primary mirror cooling fan helps draw air over the mirror for faster cooling. The fan can be powered using the supplied AA battery holder (batteries not included) or a separate 12v DC power supply with a centre positive 2.1mm/5.5mm DC jack.
- 35mm 2" focus extension tube with brass compression ring for eyepieces and accessories that require additional back focus distance
- 9mm 1.25" 52º Plössl eyepiece with 6mm eye-relief
- 30mm 2" 68º Superview eyepiece with 22mm eye-relief
- 8x AA battery holder with 2.1mm DC plug to fit the primary mirror cooling fan
Telescope Field of View Simulator
What's in the box
- 12" Newtonian Reflector Telescope
- Dobsonian Mount
- 8x50 Right Angled Erect Image Finderscope
- 9mm 1.25" Super-Plossl Eyepiece
- 30mm 2" Superview Eyepiece
- 35mm 2" Focus Extension tube
- 2" to 1.25" Adapter
- Cooling Fan & Battery Holder
|Model ||12" f/5 Dobsonian |
|Optical design ||Newtonian Reflector |
|Aperture ||304mm (12") |
|Focal ratio ||f/5 |
|Focal length ||1520mm |
|Primary mirror ||BK7 Parabolic primary mirror, minimum 93% reflectivity |
|Mirror coatings ||Aluminum and silicone dioxide (SiO2) |
|Secondary mirror ||Minimum 93% reflectivity |
|Secondary mirror holder ||4-vane all metal spider |
|Secondary Mirror Obstruction ||25% |
|Focuser ||2" dual-speed Crayford |
|Mount ||Dobsonian mount with tension clutch control |
|Finderscope ||Right Angled, 8x50 |
|Eyepiece 1 ||9mm 1.25" 52º Super-Plossl with 6mm eye-relief |
|Eyepiece 2 ||30mm 2" 68º Superview with 22mm eye-relief |
|Accessories ||35mm 2" extension tube, 2" to 1.25" eyepiece adapter & 12v battery holder for the cooling fan |
|Tube outside diameter ||356mm / 14" |
|Tube length ||1450mm / 57" |
|Mount Base Height ||640mm / 25.1" |
|Mount Base Diameter ||635mm / 25" |
|Tube weight ||19.5kg / 42lbs 16oz |
|Shipped size OTA ||156cm x 50cm x 48cm / 61.4" x 19.7" x 18.9" |
|Shipped size Base ||73cm x 73cm x 14cm / 28.7" x 28.7" x 5.5" |
|Shipped weight OTA ||30kg / 66lbs 2oz |
|Shipped weight Base ||20kg / 44lbs 1oz |
Downloads / Manuals
StellaLyra 8" / 10" / 12" Dobsonian Assembly Manual
|Average Rating (3 Reviews): |
29 January 2023 | Cian
Finally decided to take the plunge and get myself a proper telescope and had settled on a 12" dob to give myself some room to grow into. When i was doing my research the Apertura D12 kept coming up as the best one to get but these aren't available in Europe. Then I found the Stella Lyra 12" which as far as I can see is basically exactly the same even down to including the RACI Finderscope as standard which most sellers don't seem to do.
The scope was delivered quickly by FLO and it's been great. I got the FLO Cheshire as an extra and collimating was easy enough as a first time telescope user once I followed some tutorials. The scope seems to hold its collimation well and I usually just have to do a slight adjustment to the primary at the start of each session. The included eyepieces are definitely enough to get you started. I like the 30mm in particular and still use it sometimes but the 9mm has a pretty narrow FOV so I decided to get the Baader Hyperion Mk IV Zoom + Barlow from FLO for a quick all round improvement. This made viewing objects like Jupiter much more comfortable and the view was better. I've since also added an APM 7mm UWA which works really nice with this scope.
It's definitely a pretty big scope but I don't have any issues moving it from inside the house to the back garden. I'd highly recommend getting some lifting straps as makes it way, way easier to carry. Overall the scope has been excellent to use and I'd highly recommend it even if you're just starting out in astronomy like me.
Stella Lyra 12” dobsonian
21 January 2023 | Ian
Having previously owned the 8” version of this scope, I was well aware of the great quality and optics of the scopes. I had a problem with the focuser on the new 12”, which was rapidly rectified by FLO. I fitted a Telrad on a 2” riser which in combination with the supplied excellent RACI, I’m now ready for first light. Great fast dispatch and delivery from FLO as is the norm.
02 November 2022 | Nikodem
Really impressed with the telescope so far , great build quality and gives good views of deep sky objects even from light polluted sky. Planets look amazing even if the seeing is not great. also really like the 2 inch eyepiece that was part of the package. All thats left for me to do is take it to a dark sky to really see what this beast can do.
Please fill in the form below to ask a question.