About this product
The UK's BEST 8" Dobsonian telescope!
Designed and manufactured to a very high standard by Guan Sheng Optical (GSO) in Taiwan.
With 8" aperture this easy to use Dobsonian telescope is an excellent choice for visual astronomy.
Viewing the lunar surface will feel like you can reach out and scratch plaster! Venus and its phases are also viewable. In good seeing conditions you can observe Mars with surface shading and polar cap, Jupiters weather bands and a number of its Moons and Saturn with its rings, including the Cassini division, are also clearly visible. So too are many deep sky objects such as galaxies and nebulae. For many owners this telescope will provide a lifetime of observing.
All StellaLyra Dobsonian telescopes are fitted with a quality GSO aluminised parabolic primary mirror with minimum 93% reflectivity and a silicon-dioxide protective overcoat to ensure the surface remains bright for years to come.
Collimation knobs on the primary mirror cell provide easy collimation adjustment, without tools, and an integrated fan provides fast cooling.
This 8” model also features an impressive CNC-machined 2" Crayford focuser with 1:10 dual-speed focus adjustment for smooth, precise focusing. And no image-shift! The focuser includes a 2" to 1.25" adapter so you use both 2" and 1.25" eyepieces and accessories. Brass compression rings grip them securely without marring their nosepiece. A convenient 35mm focus extender is also supplied so you can achieve focus easily when using most long focal length 2" eyepieces.
Two fully multicoated eyepieces (1.25" 9mm Plössl & 2" 30mm SuperView) are included so views will be clear and sharp, from the outset.
The Dobsonian base is delivered flat-packed and is easy to assemble.
A robust roller bearing assembly provides smooth reliable azimuth adjustments. Metal plates above and below the bearings prevents them from sinking into the softer wood (no divots!) so the movement remains smooth, even after years of use.
For altitude adjustment a robust steel shaft and CNC-machined metal plates with large knurled tension adjustment knobs, one each side, provide smooth, precise movements and adjustable tension.
The mount also features a convenient balance adjustment mechanism with engraved scale that enables the telescope to be moved forward or backwards for precise balance. This is useful when changing from a small eyepiece to a large heavy one, or when adding a second finderscope or binoviewer.
For comfort and convenience a Right-Angled Correct Image 8x50 finder scope is includes, so no cricked neck!
- 203mm (8") optical aperture
- 1200mm focal length
- f/5.9 focal ratio
- 25% secondary mirror obstruction
- Parabolic primary mirror with minimum 93% reflectivity
- Aluminium and silicone dioxide (SiO2) protective mirror coatings
- Sturdy primary mirror-cell with easy grip collimation knobs
- Cooling fan brings the primary mirror to ambient temperature quickly for best performance
- Rigid, steel telescope tube with 4-vane, all metal secondary Spider and adjustable primary cell
- CNC-machined 2" dual-speed Crayford focuser with non-marring brass compression rings
- 2" to 1.25" adapter enables use of both 2" and 1.25" eyepieces and accessories
- 35mm focus extension enables focus when using long focal length 2" eyepieces
- Smooth, stable Dobsonian mount with tension adjustments, 4 slot eyepiece holder and front carry-handle
- Supplied with fully multicoated 1.25" 9mm Plössl and 2" 30mm Superview eyepieces
- 8x50 Right-Angled Correct Image finderscope for comfort and convenience
- 2" dual-speed Crayford focuser
- 10:1 fine focus adjustment for precise focusing
- Crayford design provides smooth focusing, with no image shift
- Includes a 2" to 1.25" adapter so you can use 2" and 1.25" eyepieces and accessories
- 35mm focus extension enables focus when using long focal length 2" eyepieces
- Brass compression rings holds items securely without marring the barrels
- Handy measurement scale makes it easy to remember focus positions when changing eyepieces
- Supplied flat-pack but quick and easy to assemble
- Altitude tension clutch on the sides provides smooth, accurate movement and easy adjustment to suit different payloads and personal preference
- The azimuth axis (on the bottom) features a 'Lazy Susan' style roller bearing assembly for smooth 360º movement and an adjustable tensioner
- A handle on the front makes the Dobsonian mount easy to move around the garden
- A handy 4-position eyepiece holder on the side provides convenient storage for eyepieces and accessories
8x50 Right Angled Finderscope
- Straight through finderscopes can be uncomfortable and inconvenient so most StellaLyra dobsonians are supplied with an 8x50 Right-Angle Correct Image finderscope. So no cricked neck!
- Large 50mm aperture helps spot dimmer targets
- Cross-hair reticule for precise alignment
- Two adjustment screws and a sprung loaded tensioner make it quick and easy to align the finderscope to the main telescope (can be aligned during daytime when aimed at a distant pylon, but be careful not to point it anywhere near the Sun)!
| || |
Primary Mirror Cell
- Robust primary mirror cell holds collimation well.
- Collimation is easily adjusted using oversize, easy to grip adjustment and locking knobs.
- Primary mirror cooling fan helps draw air over the mirror for faster cooling. The fan can be powered using the supplied AA battery holder (batteries not included) or a separate 12v DC power supply with centre positive 2.1mm/5.5mm DC jack.
- 35mm 2" focus extension tube with brass compression ring for eyepieces and accessories that require additional back focus distance
- 9mm 1.25" 52º Plössl eyepiece with 6mm eye-relief
- 30mm 2" 68º Superview eyepiece with 22mm eye-relief
- 8x AA battery holder with 2.1mm DC plug to fit the primary mirror cooling fan
Telescope Field of View Simulator
What's in the box
- 8" Newtonian Reflector Telescope
- Dobsonian Mount
- 8x50 Right Angled Erect Image Finderscope
- 9mm 1.25" Super-Plossl Eyepiece
- 30mm 2" Superview Eyepiece
- 35mm 2" Focus Extension tube
- 2" to 1.25" Adapter
- Cooling Fan & Battery Holder
|Model ||8" f/6 Dobsonian |
|Optical design ||Newtonian Reflector |
|Aperture ||203mm (8") |
|Focal ratio ||f/5.9 |
|Focal length ||1200mm |
|Primary mirror ||BK7 Parabolic primary mirror, minimum 93% reflectivity |
|Mirror coatings ||Aluminum and silicone dioxide (SiO2) |
|Secondary mirror ||Minimum 93% reflectivity |
|Secondary mirror holder ||4-vane all metal spider |
|Secondary Mirror Obstruction ||25% |
|Focuser ||2" dual-speed Crayford |
|Mount ||Dobsonian mount with tension clutch control |
|Finderscope ||Right Angled, 8x50 |
|Eyepiece 1 ||9mm 1.25" 52º Super-Plossl with 6mm eye-relief |
|Eyepiece 2 ||30mm 2" 68º Superview with 22mm eye-relief |
|Accessories ||35mm 2" extension tube, 2" to 1.25" eyepiece adapter & 12v battery holder for the cooling fan |
|Tube outside diameter ||230mm / 9.1" |
|Tube length ||1150mm / 45.3" |
|Mount Base Height ||600mm / 23.6" |
|Mount Base Diameter ||500mm / 19.7" |
|Tube weight ||9.5kg / 20lbs 15oz |
|Shipped size OTA ||128cm x 40cm x 35cm / 50.4" x 15.7" x 13.8" |
|Shipped size Base ||58cm x 68cm x 14cm / 22.3" x 26.8" x 5.5" |
|Shipped weight OTA ||15kg / 33lbs 1oz |
|Shipped weight Base ||12kg / 26lbs 7oz |
Downloads / Manuals
StellaLyra 8" / 10" / 12" Dobsonian Assembly Manual
|Average Rating (4 Reviews): |
Tuesday, 5 October 2021 | Ian
Iím really glad that i decided to go for this scope over the Skywatcher. The dual speed focuser and the 9x50 upright finder scope with a diagonal clinched it for me. The finish on the telescope is good and was very straightforward to assemble, although I had to look online for the assembly details. The collimation was almost spot on and only required a tweak. The optical performance was very nice with lovely crisp images. For visual astronomy you canít go wrong with this telescope. This will keep me occupied while Iím saving for my astrophotography rig. The delivery and packaging was excellent, as was the service from First Light Optics
Stella Lyra 8Ē F6 Dob Ö An Excellent well thought out quality Dob
Saturday, 25 September 2021 | Phill
The Stella Lyra scope comes double boxed and very well packaged , on inspection itís both wrapped and sealed inside the box so no water ingress is possible .
The base is of chipboard construction with quality hardware and captive nuts inset with a press fit into appropriate holes for a good fit the lazy Susan style azimuth plane is put together with roller bearings between two steel plates not friction plates as other models seem to have I added some lithium grease to the bearings to aid in manoeuvrability. The center bolt also has a bearing washer betweeen two washers which is a nice touch and aids free adjustable movement . It has a stew eyepiece tray with room for one 2Ē and 3 1.25Ē EPís and is held securely to the side panel .
The OTA came in perfect condition and has the nice addition of some features which I fee put it at a different level to the other comparable options ; it has conical altitude bearings housed in a CNC aluminium block which is both adjustable for tension and balancing the scope itself . This is one part of the scope I think that is worth itís weight in gold on other scopes you need to tension the alt bearings to get a balance OR add extra weights etc to balance it . This scope doesnít need that and as such leaves you with a much sharper visually appealing scope that doesnít require additions to work as it should the balance in operation and infinite adjustments to the centre of gravity allow me to completely loosen the alt bearings and have an extremely smooth motion to this scope whichever EP or accessory I choose to add .
It had a 2Ē dual speed CNC machined focuser which seems to be of excellent quality being both extremely smooth in operation and fully adjustable for tension etc being a Crayford it doesnít loose collimation
It is well made and includes a 2Ē-1.25Ē adapter which also has threading for a filter although with long barrel EPís it may not be that useful so be careful with a filter short barrel lengths only .
It has brass compression rings so will not mar your eyepiece collection and keep everything in good condition .
The primary has a center dot to aid in collimation and the collimation and lock bolts are both of an ergonomic design which can be done with gloves on etc a nice feature 😀
It also comes standard with an equalising fan and battery box to quickly acclimate your mirror to get observing faster the fan is quiet and effective .
Moving back up to the top of the OTA we have a nice 8x50 RACI finder scope with coarse adjustment once focused it produces a slight amount of CA on bright subjects such as the planets and moon but none that I can see On a normal star field , the field of view is relatively good for an 8x finder and is easy to adjust so far it has not lost accuracy and has stayed in good collimation to the main OTA .
Included accessories are a 30mm 2Ē EP which is good but does show some Coma around the edges but very useable (Iím impressed) a 35mm 2Ē extension piece 2Ē to 1.25Ē adapter a 9mm 1.25Ē EP of reasonable quality but eye relief is quite tight and the battery pack (AA batteries) to power the fan
Itís well built and a lot of thought has been put into the use-ability fit and finish of this scope .
In use as standard (after collimation) it provides very good images and the optical quality of this scope is very good , a great deal of time and attention to detail has been put into the design and accessory package of this dobsonian making it extremely useable with nothing else needed .
As far as I can tell so far in use I can only fault it on two points Ö.
1, the 30mm Eyepiece wonít come to focus unless you eithe use the extension or ; pull the eyepiece out slightly all my other EPís from 32 down to 2.5mm have worked perfectly .
2, this is more a niggle than a fault Ö.
The main OTA dust cover that sits Over the spider seems to be quite thin and has no apeture mask/ stop ports which are common on other brands itís not a game changer by any means and is a personal preference from me .
My overall opinion and observing through this scope I have detailed in other messages but I would highly reccomended this both on price fit finish attention to detail and the truely outstanding service I had (24hr delivery) through First light Optics of which I bought it from here in the Uk 🇬🇧.
Saturday, 18 September 2021 | Andrew
Iíve been using the 8 inch version of this scope - it is excellent. The fit and finish is a cut above other scopes Iíve tried as Iíve got into this hobby - good attention to detail and just feels solid and well built. Features such as the ease of adjusting the central tightening bolt on the base, and the way the tensioning system works just lift this above some of the competitors for me.
The included accessories are very good, particularly the quality 30mm 2Ē eyepiece which I feel works very well at this focal ratio.
The scope moves smoothly and precisely in both altitude and azimuth and again this moment is an improvement on some of the more basic systems Iíve seen.
No written assembly manual so itís a download for that, but once youíve worked out how it all fits together itís pretty straightforward. One minor point is that I do think a Cheshire collimating cap would have been a thoughtful low cost addition to include, but this is not enough to dock a star!
Overall this system is a pleasure to use for relaxing visual astronomy.
Very Happy with the purchase!
Friday, 17 September 2021 | Rafael
FLO is a great place to shop, in less than a week since I clicked on the webpage to get the telescope on my doorstep in Norway, very quick response to my questions via email.
This is my first "serious" telescope, so I don't have any information to compare, but it is of great quality and very easy to assemble. I am very happy to have followed various recommendations on web pages, where Dobsonian telescopes (particularly 8 " are the best option for beginners.
Please fill in the form below to ask a question.